ID on Netherlands .50 BMG

A contact int he Netherlands would like to know about maker and date of cartridge shown below. He identified it as .50 BMG, but that may or may not be correct.
Thanks.

This is a Dutch made .50 out of 1936. Made at Dordrecht plant I think.

What about 13,2x99 Hotchkiss…commonly used in FN
BMG Aircraft guns in Europe in 1930s.
.50 cal not common in pre-war Europe.
Doc AV

From a BOCN discussion on a Dutch .50 BMG cartridge.

Quoting BOCN Forum member “Blackwatch” from the Netherlands:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/71469-12-7-x-99-50-cal

“The Dutch first adopt the gun in 1928 , Browning and Colt for use in the Royal Dutch Navy (for stormboats on river patrol) and KNIL, as a AA Gun.
Comes from an article written by GB Klein Baltink (NVBMB)…”

1 Like

Astrid, basically all possible but we only know .50 from Holland. That would also explain why the 13.2mm never was adopted there.

For reference see Fuchs’ chapter on the Netherlands:

125.0 NETHERLANDS (29 O thru EMZ 80).pdf (185.7 KB)

The Headstamp D means the Brass supplier
Cartridges 12,7 were made by Artillerie-Inrichtingen Hembrug Zaandam

Old boxes

2 Likes

Harrie, incredible boxes and labels. Thank you for sharing these.

Thank you Alex
from my collection.

Harrie, what are the known Dutch 12.7x99 loads?
Did blanks and dummies exist?

Great boxes and labels, thanks for sharing.

For 1940 , the 12,7 ball cartridge used by the Dutch Royal Navy
( Patroon Scherpe tot mitrirailleurs 12,7mm. v/12,7 mm Scherpe) is proceeded with a tombac jacket and tempered steel core.
(patroon scherpe EXERCITIE tot mitrailleurs van 12,7mm Patroon t/mitr. v/12,7mm , scherpe exercitie)
is proceeded with tombac jacket and soft steel core was intended to shoot them , but for practice purposes-no exercise pattern in the current sense.

At the Netherlands East Indies (also known as the Dutch East Indies) for 1940 they only known
(Patroon N0.30 with hardened steel core
12,7mm cartridges also known with TRACER (L) only (Royal Dutch navy) and HIGH Explosive projectile ( KNIL Dutch East Indies)

No blank cartriges are known.

Befor 1940 the Dutch Royal Navy and the KNIL (Dutch East Indies) did only used regular live cartridges but no lead core only steel core projectiles

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you for this great drawing Harrie!

Is there any more data, photos, drawings of the HE version? Sounds very interesting.

I am already behind this is a Dutch .50 sleeve with on the bottom stamp L = light rail ammunition D = N.V Dutch cartridge, batting hats and metal goods factory, tail-Merwedehaven, Dordrecht Netherlands.
Thanks for the effort .

Tom Lahau
from The Netherlands.

Hi Tom,
in my experience, by sticking to original company names you can avoid confusion.
Most collectors will know that the word “slaghoedje” occurs in the Dordrecht company name. But very few will guess what a “batting hat” is, because the English word for it is “primer”.
The same applies to “tail-Merwedehaven”, which I am at a loss to identify beyond that I expect it to be a harbour on the Beneden Merwede. I am keen to learn the factory location, but “tail-Merwedehaven” is a riddle to me.
Over time you will know the correct English words. To this end, avoid online translations and look at English language ammunition books (and forums like this).

Jochem, I see the problem here to be in Google translations.

and light rail is tracer.

Harrie, now while filing your images from above I noticed the 1935 label saying headstamp “L”.

What would that indicate?
Sounds very unusual here given the normal Dutch hs patterns.

L= Lichtspoor =tracer

D means the Brass supplier