ID this round

I have received this case in a batch of brass that I purchased. I have a few of them, but can not ID it at all. The head stamp states it might be a
30-06, but it is not built like one.

Any info that you can give would be great. I can toss them into the recycle bin, if needed.

Finds this weekend, what do I have?

I think you’ll need to post the photos directly, or a better link. I could not open them.

Ray

Can you post dimensions? It could be anything but it reminds me of a .45 long shot for converted revolvers made using Cal. .30 cases.

Fixed links:

Looks to me like a WW2 US 30-06 (30 M1) that someone cut and was playing with…

my 2 cents…

The round is 1 inch 1/4 tall, the opening is 1/2 inch wide. The bottom of the case is also about 1/2 inch wide.
Thank you for any info that you can provide. So it sounds like this is just scrap???

I think it’s what Fede said - a shot cartridge made from a Cal .30 (30-06) case. I’ve made a few of those myself in days of yore. It could be fired in a cylinder gun (revolver) if the cylinder was long enough, in a single-shot pistol, and possibly even in a M1911 pistol if single loaded.

Ray

[quote]The round is 1 inch 1/4 tall, the opening is 1/2 inch wide. The bottom of the case is also about 1/2 inch wide.
Thank you for any info that you can provide. So it sounds like this is just scrap???[/quote]
Thanks for posting its dimensions, although to obtain more accurate measurements would be better to use a caliper, in case you have one. Considering the diameter of the base of a .30-06 case, the case lenght of this case would be about 1.6" (40.64 mm), which is correct for a .45 long shot.

The cartridge appears to have a very shallow shoulder. It would be nice to have a fractional inch measurement (0.000") from the head of the cartridge (the very bottom of it) to the time of that lower portion of the case which has the greater diameter. This might tell us if it was intended to be used in a .45 Auto (.45 A.C.P.; .45 M1911) chamber or not. Hand in hand with that would be to have the base diameter and the diameter of the case just below the tapered-down forward section.

A .30/06 case cut off and run through a .45 Shot case former die (RCBS).

I use this methd for making .45Auto Blanks etc.

Doc AV