Identification Driggs Ordnance case

Who can tell more about this case?
Wich gun , year , shell ,etc. ?

47 x 136 R

I was able to locate information on the following web site:
www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_6pounder_m1.htm

3-pdr (1.4kg) 1.85" (47mm) Driggs-Schroeder Rapid Fire Gun

I assume that the H/S is for “Driggs Ordnance & Explosives Co.” date and site unknown at this time. Very interesting bios on both Driggs and Schroeder
US Naval officers with very distinguished careers.

A very rare headstamp but only the bottom of the case. Likely cut off as a blank.

Thanks guys for your reply.
Naval case , maybe cut off but from what ? Not from a 3-pdr.
A 3-pdr cut off at 136mm lenght is about 56mm , this one is 47mm.
As you can see the case is a bit wider at the mouth (50mm) because somebody tried to put something lager in or removed a shell with force?

Driggs Ordnance & Engineering Co. did they export ammunition ?

Based on the “USA” marking, this case is of WWI vintage, probably 1916 or 1917. This marking is also indicative of an export case, made on contract for a foreign customer. It is possible that this is a Depth Charge Projection cartridge, like the the British 2 Pdr Vickers cases used in the 9.5" Depth Charge Tube. As such, it wouldn’t have had a projectile, only a closing cup or wad.

Did these 2pdr Vickers have special head stamps?

These headstamps are USN but you can also find British naval headstamps on the same cases. The case is based on de 2-pdr.

Hi Jim,
You are right about the "USA"marking during WWI but did Driggs make ammunition at that time? The few Driggs headstamps I know are a lot older.

Western, great images. Thanks a lot.
Do these cases have a covered primer?

[quote=“EOD”]Western, great images. Thanks a lot.
Do these cases have a covered primer?[/quote]
No primer , just a small hole in the side or head for an electric wire.

Oh, interesting.
Is that visible somewhere on the images?

[quote=“Western”]Who can tell more about this case?
Wich gun , year , shell ,etc. ?

47 x 136 R
quote]

At this moment on E-bay someone is selling a case much like this. Different headstamp ,no measurements are given. The seller thinks it is a revolving canon shell. I believe that use a bottle necked case with different rim.

cgi.ebay.com/INERT-92-UMC-DRIGGS … dZViewItem

Another cut off blank made by UMC Bridgeport for Driggs. They found it was cheaper to have an ammo company make the shells and concentrate on the guns themselves. Your case is much earlier.