Identification help needed

Once again I am trying to further my education through the forums knowledge. When entering this website, there is a photo of various cartridges. The present photo is of various 5.56x45’s. My question is, another photo has various cartridges, there is on the far right side, 2 APPARENT 22 rimfires. The furtherst right hand photo shows a very pointed projectile with a heavy mid case cannalure, and next to this cartridge apparently a 22 rimfire with a very long bullet. Can anyone identify these for me and give me some history? Lastly, is there a book of 22 rimfires ballistics and varying bullet types and uses and not just boxes, similiar to Chris Pundetts excellent book on the 30-06. Again thank you for help.

These cartridges are from my collection of MBA Gyrojets and other ordnance. When our webmaster, Aaron Newcomer, was setting up the web site, he asked for some cartridge images to use in groups on a rotating basis on the front page, and he set up that illustration. The individual cartridges are not shown at any particular scale and are not at the same scale relative to each other. I think the graphic illustration Aaron did is fantastic, but of course I’m biased.

The two right-end rounds are in fact .22 rimfires. These are extremely scarce experimental cartridges with metal (stainless steel on the pointed specimen or brass on the roundnose one) inserts instead of lead bullets. The inserts have a 0.032-inch (0.8128 mm) bore to fire a 0.030-inch Javette carrying a lethal or less-lethal agent. They were fired in modified .22 rifles and handguns.

Rather than going into a lot of detail here, I suggest that you visit my web site, www.Gyrojet.net, and download the free supplemental chapter 28, which explains these two rounds and others in the illustration. The roundnose cartridge is shown on page 466 in Figure 28-51 as the top round and the other is in Figure 28-54 on page 467 as the middle round. You can also download free supplemental chapters 27 and 6. These are pdf files.

BTW, if you are interested in really strange rounds, take a look at Figure 28-6 on page 452; the embedded 3mm aluminum Lancejet. Paul Smith is sectioning one of the four I had and will have it at SLICS, so we’ll get to see what’s inside.

Mel

Thank you Mel, I will do some reading tonight.