Identify this shell please

Hi all.
I’m no collector, just a newbie trying to research an interesting shell.
Can anyone identify, please?

It’s marked:
12PR-12CWT
A logo containing letters "RN"
Lot 82
I
N
F.

So I think it’s a Quickfire 3inch, 12 pound shell, naval, 1917. Not sure exactly where it was used and from which gun. Can anyone explain please? Thanks 👍

Just to enhance the chance for an answer please add some images.

I hope the photos help. 🤔

British (identified by the Broad Arrow stamp). Lot 82, KN = Kings Norton Metal Co.1917. Intended for Navy or costal defense guns. There appears to be a cancelled “C” & “F” which means the case at one time had a FULL charge of CORDITE and I am guessing the single “F” below the date indicates a full charge of ???

Brian

And the gun with some ammo further down on the page:

Hi Brian.
Thanks for the reply.
I spent 40 years living on uk south coast near Portsmouth. I wonder if the guns were in use on portsdown hill or on which naval warship in particular. I think I saw a comment saying ther was a 12pounder used at Newhaven.

Amazed to see ranges of 10000 yards.
Also Whitworth was the fella responsible for screw threads, and I think rifling if the company is related?
Amazing to think the shell is 100 years old !!

More research done…
I think it’s possible the shell was from HMS Majestic. Part of the ships duties were patrolling the waters around the Humber in Yorkshire and she was armed with 16 of the type 41 QF Armstrong Whitworth 12pound Guns. I came across the round in a Pub in Hull, off the Humber River. All speculation of course, and as the shell was made in 1917 I’m not sure if the ship was still in service at that time. Interesting thought

As fot the exact origin of a brass case it is very difficult to say as these use to “travel” a lot. In particular when they get into civilian’s hands.

Yes, Sir Joseph Whitworth was the compiler of the Famous “Whitworth Thread” system, and also the Whitworth Rifling ( of US Civil war fame) and Founder of the Whitworth Engineering co, which then amalgamated with the Armstrong Co, to manufacture both Armour Plate, Naval ships, and Artillery; Eventually the Company Merged with Vickers, to become “Vickers Armstrong” and finally, by the end of WW II, became simply “Vickers Ltd”.

They various corporate bodies were involved with Steel, Armaments, Ships, Tanks, Aircraft (incl.Jets)_ and Railway Rolling stock and Motive Power…essentailly “Vickers” was the “Krupp” of Britain.

Doc AV