Identify WW2 Japanese Shells

Good afternoon,
My grandpa was a island hopper during WW2 and during his downtime of his deployments he made numerous items out of various items. He made a dress out of a parachute for his wife, ash trays out of spent mortar rounds, lighters out of spent rounds, paper weights out of defused grenades, and 5 of these shot glasses. I was wondering if anyone would be able to identify them and what their markings mean? I’m not sure, but it looks like they were coated in another metal also. Anything helps!

Cheim32,

Welcome to the Forum. I would guess those were cut down from 25 x 163mm cases that were used by the Japanese in an anti-aircraft roll.

There are other folks that might be able to help with the headstamp.

Dave

A lot of neat stuff!!! What did he invent after he got out of the service? Very talented man!

It’s a IJN 25mm hotchkiss case(Type96),made at Toyokawa arsenal(豊川)on January, Showa 17 year.

Yessir he was! He altered or invented things up until he passed away at 93 a few years ago. He altered anything from weed eaters, lawn equipment, tools, his own gettin’ around canes and walkers, all so he wasn’t limited by his age. He was the closest thing to MacGyver that I have ever seen. He insisted on holding a job until he was 90, and mowed helped me mow his lawn, weed eat, cut down trees, everything. The greatest generation is definitely an understatement!

This is fantastic info! Thank you much

Would you happen to know what the anchor on the right stands for?
Thanks again for the information!

My Father was the same type. Love to know how he could do those complex math problems without the benefit of a electronic calculator?

It’s made at Kure(吴)arsenal.the anchor is acceptance mark

Hi All

More info :

Japanese Ammunition Leaflets, Section B.pdf (6,3 MB)

Rufus

Thanks for posting the leaflets.

On a quick skim through, I notice that on page 33 the 13 x 64B ammo is described in detail, but the fact that both gun and ammo were modified (percussion primed) versions of the Rheinmetall-Borsig MG 131 had not been realised in June 1945. This gun must have been well known to Allied forces in Europe by then, so there seems to have been some lack of info exchange between theatres?