ID's please (batch #1)(many more to come!)

Fellas

Beware…I am finally in an inventory reconciliation mode…as for 2009 I am not doing a SLICS table display (hours and hours over the past 5 year’s displays)…so I am planning on leaning on all of you for some inventory

Pepper,
I have or had a South African .303 dummy just like yours. At the time I received it (early-mid 90s) I was told it was factory. I will check my records.

Pepper, the first one is a “Short Range Combat” from NAMMO.

nammo.com/templates/Technologies.aspx?id=183

I have seen it the first time last summer on the EUROSATRORY in Paris.

Pepper - I also had, when I collected .303s, the same dummy that you show, with the red band around it. I got it from South Africa. I don’t know if it is factory, military made (rather than actually made as a dummy in the factory), or what, but as far as I know it is legitimate. Mine was sent to me when I was collecting .303s as if it was no big deal - I wasn’t even asked for a trade. Of course, I guess that could be interpreted two ways, but I think it is a real round, not a fake. JMO.

I have no clue what any of those are but, I LIKE EM! All are so unusual. I definitely have never seen the likes of them but how cool is that one with the gussets in the projectile! Th thin rounds in the circular contraption is really puzzling. Can’t wait for you to go threw more draws of unknowns.

Might No2 show us a movie or theatre blank set for revolvers?

I have seen belt buckles and other “jewelery” items similar to the two that look like 6 connected cartridge bases. They could be mounted on decorative plaques.

I am interested to the italian green “shotshells”.Could you add some info about them?

The green “shotshells” are “oilshells”. They contain a few ccm. oil.
After the hunt your last shots with these shells is the first maintenance to oil and soake the bores for complete gun cleaning at home.
Seen also in white and red.

WOW! That is a cool bit of information, Arthemis. I never would have guessed that. Makes sense that they are in Pepper’s collection as I would think that is a pretty “Special Purpose” round 4 sure! I wish they made those in 9mm and other calibers as a 1st step cleaning while at the gun range.

Jason

I heard something about these “oilshells” on an italian magazine,but I don’t remember the factory that produce them nowadays

Pepper, the 303 is ligitimate, I am also not sure if FACTORY but definitly military. I seem to remeber some story of the 1976 riots, suddenly we needed more troops on township duty who were given the old 303 rifles and some dummies had to be made up in a hurry and these were the result…

Number one I am not sure but I think it looks like a French Athena short range - perhaps Philippe Regenstreif can help here.

Will, No1 was ID’d.

This in from the legendary Otto Witt

(THANKS TO ALL WHO WROTE…(there will be more batches)…Pepper

In response to your IAA forum question about the batch #1 id’s–

The item you have pictured as “clueless”—I have two different
versions of these, one brass and one steel–

They were described to me when I aquired them as training devices–
I understood that when “fired” they emitted a beam that would trigger
a device that the “target” (a vest) wore that would activate upon a good"hit"

It looks to me like there is some sort of a diode contained in the "cartridge"
It could be an infrared diode–but that’s me speculating.

Sorry I can’t be more definitive

Hope this helps.

Ot

May someone expand upon “Short Range Combat” ammo from NAMMO. I do not grasp what that fluted projectile does or what “a safety fan of only 1500/1700m” means.

The idea behind the SRC ammunition is to provide training ammunition with a shorter safety range, and combat ammunition for use in rural areas. In 12,9x99 calibre, for example, the projectile is stable only to 1000 meters, and the maximum range is 3500 meters.

Known calibers are 5,56x45, 7,62x51 and 12,7x99, with and without tracer.

5,56x45 SRC

Morten

Here the NAMMO product information on it:

Pepper (and anyone else)- I suggest that you post future unidentifed stuff as infividual posts (ID’s Please item 9, 10, 11, etc as 3 separate posts).

That way we can change the thread title to reflect the correct ID when it is provided. It will make the threads much more useful for future reference.

Also, it is confusing to try to figure out which items some responses refer to.

Anyway, that’s my opinion.

Pepper,

Your big fella is used to “nail” 1/4 inch plate steel to pilings on docks. I have the tin and a few rounds somewhere if you are interested. I believe they used bullseye powder.

Great document EOD! Score! Morten, really great information. I have never seen any projectile like that before and it nice knowing what it was designed for.

Jason