Illinois Gun & Ammo Ban

I assume all of you Illinois guys know about this.

[i]HB4357

Last Action
4/15/2008 House Placed on Calendar Order of 3rd Reading - Short Debate

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault weapon attachment, any .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge. Provides that beginning 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Provides that these provisions do not apply to a person who possessed a prohibited weapon, device, or attachment before the effective date of this amendatory Act if the person has provided proof of ownership to the Department of State Police within 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act. Provides that on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act, such person may transfer such device only to an heir, an individual residing in another state maintaining that device in another state, or a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer. Specifies penalties for violations. Provides exemptions. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Effective immediately.[/i]

…and how exactly will this make life safer for the law abiding citizens of Illinois ?

Here in England a ban on Handguns has…er…how can I put this in a way that won’t make the Government look stupid…well since the Handgun ban the amount of crimes committed with a Handgun have risen every year. You see the criminal took no notice of the ban, amazing that, who’d have ever thought that criminals would do something illegal…

Note that there is NO provision to “grandfather” ownership or possession of .50 cal ammo, just the guns and magazines.
The definitions in the full bill may clarify exactly what sort of .50 cal ammo is prohibited, but I would not be surprised if it is vague enough to snare ALL .50 cal rifle ammo (.50-70, .50-90, .50-110, .56-50 as well as .50 BMG.

Make no mistake, if passed, Illinois WILL PROSECUTE people, and if charged it will cost tens of thousands of dollars to defend yourself and MAYBE escape conviction for possession of a single round of ammunition.

Utterly ridiculous with absolutely NO effect on crime! Let

Call me young and full of beans, but… Gun laws… pwwhhhfff… They benefit only criminals, and those politicians who wish to instill greater political control over the populace via fear.

Illinois guys should only need to know how far it is to the nearest cross-border dealer who will sell hi-cap mags, “assault” weapons, and .50 cal rifles…

Sounds like that includes all .50 caliber muzzle loaders and ammo also.

Having grown up in Illinois and moved on to greener pastures in Texas and Arkansas, my heart goes out to the citizens who remain. My sympathies extend only to the point at which the citizens are willing to allow this to go on, and not “throw the bums out!” If we do not vigorously defend our constitutional rights to carry firearms, AND vote our will, we get the government we deserve. Dan