IMI/samson ammo

first post and all.
hello
just found this forum and i have some ammo that i was trying to get info on and if i cant get it here i guess the ammo is a figment of my imagination.

ok here goes
standard blue samson/IMI blue box ammo
223 remington

70 grain fmj
sealed primers/neck bullet has a cannelure

does anyone have any info on this round other than the givens already stated

the headstamp date is IMI 88

thanks

Welcome. Other than it was made in Israel in 1988, I’m not sure what other info you might be looking for.

background
was it issued to the military.
70 grain bullet was it issued to snipers?
velocity?
how long was it manufactured?
IMI cant even give me info on it.
just wondering if anyone else has had any.

This is a match intended commercial loading with a 70 grain FMJBT bullet recommended for barrels with a 1:7 twist and as far as I can tell it was made only in 1988 with a “IMI 223 REM” headstamp. Never heard of a “IMI 88” headstamp before, are you sure this is correct?

you are correct imi 223
any idea how many were produced and if very much made it to the states?
ive been around ar15’s and 223 ammo since the mid 70’s and i have never seen this ammo before.

I agree with Fede"s statement regarding this IMI 70 grain loading.

In my collection I have a blue Samson box, lot # 208-88 with a added on label that makes the statement: FOR BEST RESULTS USE BARRELS HAVING 1:7 TWIST. These have a nickle primer and purple primer annulus

The earliest dated IMI that I’ve seen is a M193 Ball load with the h/s:
5.56 IMI 98. If the date of 88 is correct I for one would like to have you contact me. Thanks and keep in touch.

here is a pic of the box there are 3 others you can view
i will have to dig the ammo out of my closet to get better pics.
i think i picked it up at a gun show or maybe a trade deal.
as long as i have been around ar’s i never have seen it before so thats why i picked it up
70 grn fmj with cannelure.
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/1001225t.jpg/

hello
this loading is the bullet with light grey tip ?
i have one round with this load with light grey tip buy under label “match round”

The grey tip is 62 grain match loading with lead core designated “Cartridge, 5.56 mm, M855, Compatible” (military box/headstamp) or “.223 Rem. 62 gr. Full Metal Jacket-Match for 1:7 twist rifle” (Samson Ultra/IMI 223 REM headstamp).

hello
thank for your response
i have a mistake but i never see the box

FWIW, as far as I know, during that time period Israel did not designate any 5.56mm rifle as sniper/precision weapons. Mostly .308 (boltguns, M14 and Galil pattern platforms) and larger.

The M-14/21 was the biggie at that time. I did my APC training at the IDF Infantry School in '87. We shared a tent area with all the sniper wannabee’s and they all had M-21s.

[quote=“FrankN”]I agree with Fede"s statement regarding this IMI 70 grain loading.

In my collection I have a blue Samson box, lot # 208-88 with a added on label that makes the statement: FOR BEST RESULTS USE BARRELS HAVING 1:7 TWIST. These have a nickle primer and purple primer annulus

The earliest dated IMI that I’ve seen is a M193 Ball load with the h/s:
5.56 IMI 98. If the date of 88 is correct I for one would like to have you contact me. Thanks and keep in touch.[/quote]

pm sent