Independence Day in the USA

Today is Independence Day in the USA, lots to be thankful for (that includes the IAA and cartridge collecting!) and still a great nation despite what the mainstream media says!

I’ve got an evening of good food and fireworks to look forward to!

Happy 4th of July!

Brian

From the very earliest celebrations as copies of the Declaration of Independence reached the states and the armies, the reading of its contents was celebrated with “the firing of cannon and musketry.”

So, this really is an ammunition related holiday, as well as one with profound meaning for the freedom of man.

Our 2nd President John Q. Adams (and our 1st Vice President) advocated the firing of guns (among other things) to celebrate today.

JOHN Q. ADAMS WAS PRESIDENT NO. 6 - PRESIDENT NO. 2 WAS JOHN “NO Q” ADAMS. REGARDLESS, I’VE ALREADY FIRED OFF MY CANNON SEVERAL TIMES TODAY.

I took Pete, and John A.'s advice and in celebration of Independence day in the US I loaded up some pinfire shotshells and cartridges and shot them off in the back yard! They are much louder than fireworks!

It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.

John Adams July 2, 1776

Ray - interesting: “…from one end of this continent to the other…” I think that is one of the earliests expressions of “Manifest Destiny” I have seen.

John

“Continent” may have had a different meaning in those days. Such as in Continental Congress and Continental Army. ?

Ray

Ray - could be. I don’t know.

I think that the word “continental” in 1776 meant North to South, not East to West.