Indian Enfield Shot Rounds?

A friend recently got one of the smoothbore Indian “Riot” Enfields that is supposedly chambered for .410 shot shells. He said his .410s don’t fit and asked me what rounds will work in this firearm.
Well, what rounds will work in this firearm?

There is a previous forum post here: iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopi … 82&start=0
Basically those shotguns used a .410 shot shell made from straight .303 cases.

I read that during the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, the Indian police were unable to return fire. This was because even in 2008, they were only equipped with .410 Smooth Bored SMLEs and shot cartridges. Obviously they were vastly outgunned when compared to the terrorists’ AK Type rifles.

They may have actually had a chance had they been armed with .303 Rifles.

The India Pattern .410 Musket used an un-necked .303 case. Normal .410 shotshells will not fit for obvious reasons.

The most commonly found rounds are buckshot and spherical ball, but blank, drill and dummy also existed. The most interesting was what was termed “segmented shot”. This was a lead cylinder sliced into eight pieces like a cake.

The ammunition was made both in India at Kirkee and also by Kynoch under contract.

Picture shows buckshot and ball with normal .303 inch ball round for comparison.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“jonnyc”]A friend recently got one of the smoothbore Indian “Riot” Enfields that is supposedly chambered for .410 shot shells. He said his .410s don’t fit and asked me what rounds will work in this firearm.
Well, what rounds will work in this firearm?[/quote]
Just a question Jonny about the .410 cartridge your friend tried to chamber. The normal, almost universal, .410 cartridges are 3" now but the shorter 2 1/2" or 2" may well fit if he can find some. I think the old Eley paper “fourten” and “fourlong” fitted.

A huge number of Enfields were converted to .410 commercially (and rather cheaply) in the 80s when standard surplus .303 rifles were virtually unsellable and the market was flooded with them. So if your friend’s one doesn’t take a standard cartridge he might consider that a bonus as it would indicate that the gun is authentic and to an Enfield collector who wants all the varients quite collectable I would imagine.