Industrial tool using a shotshell

Do you know what kind of device it is for? It appears that the “pointy end” is closed off, yet there are holes along the sides to allow the cartridge to fail in a “controlled” manner.

In a related matter, my Father was a purchasing agent for a company which produced refractory material for the steel industry in large kilns, and they used industrial shotguns to clear clinker away from the burners inside the kilns. And so every year or so my Dad would have to order a dozen cases of 12 gage slug ammunition to keep them supplied. And every year, without fail, my Dad would get a visit or call from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, wondering what he was doing with all that ammo:)

Wendigo

this one used a shotshell (on the left side).

this device is described as being for: “appareillage” (casting off ?)

“appareillage” is the fact a boat is leaving a port for example
jp

“Casting off” could refer to explosive fasteners. I believe passenger aircraft have the engines fixed to the wings with explosive charged fastenings. In the event of an engine fire, if the engine’s internal fire supression system doesn’t activate or fails to extinguish the fire, the fastneres can be detonated, completely shearing the engine from the wing. This prevents the fire from being able to spread into the wing fuel tanks. I am not 100% sur of this, but I believe I have heard it somewhere.

Yikes!! I really hope an airliner’s engine pods aren’t…detachable.

The device in question could be similar to the oft-quoted “explosive bolts” such as are used in the space program to detach something in a real hurry.

Another of life’s mysteries…

Wendigo

I came across such cartridges for steel melting ovens. They are used to to open some vents if I remember correct.

Hey Wendingo

Here’s a pic of one those old clinker busting rounds your Dad was using, except this is a 8Ga.(Industrial) version.

And here’s a pic showing the the slug and buckshot versions:

[/img]

Nice pictures. Back in the day, they used a tripod mounted 8-gage industrial shotgun! They retired that beastie as ammunition costs became prohibitive. They might still have the gun; my Uncle still works there, I’ll see if he can get some photos for the curious.

Wendigo

Remington still maes 8 ga. Industrial cartridges.

remington.com/products/ammun … nition.asp

Heree is a link to the Winchester 8 ga. Line.

winchester.com/industrial/8_ … spx?load=1

Here are scans from the Remington and Winchester Industrial catalogs showing the 8 ga guns.

Thought it would be interesting to see this as a solid model…

In thinking about it’s application as a kiln clinker blaster, the expression “casting off” would make sense. If a liner was placed inside the vented chamber area, it would keep the cement out of the device allowing it to be blasted off the outside. Or perhaps there is a “main charge” placed in that area and is ignited by the 16 ga. shell?

Dave

Hum !
This looks like the one I showed.
Where is this picture coming from ? A Winchester industrial catalogue ?
Which year ?
Thanks
JP

JP,

I generated the solid model from the drawing you first posted. With the shown dimensions, a little interpolation and a pinch of artistic license, we can see the device in all it’s glorious detail. The Winchester shell was one I had on hand. (I guess I should have gotten out a Gevelot!).

Here is the whole deal with a charge tube or liner added.

Converting to JPG looses some detail but if you click on it, the expanded version helps.

If any one has ideas on how this type of rendering of drawings or actual items could be of use to the IAA, I would be interested in hearing as I’m still having fun with the software!

Dave

Waoooooohhhhhhhhh!!!
Nice job !! very nice !
Which software are you using ?
It is not Autocad, isn’t it ?
jp

JP,

Glad you like it!

The software is SolidWorks. The reason I first modeled it back when it was first posted was to see the stress distribution regarding a comment about it being designed to fail by intent. The FEA (finite element analysis tool) is fun to use and shows a components weaknesses, etc… (I don’t think intended failure is how it works). I forgot all about it then came across it moving things around recently. I got a little carried away on the shotshell detail but thought it would be fun to post it.

Any other neat old drawings you would like see come to life?

Dave

hum!!!
Yes, I have some idea.
A very special 4 gauge ctge ( more or less (: !! ) I designed about 10 years ago.
(and was surprised to find described as a scandinavian design in a French newspaper!!)
I will send you the files by private mail.
(one part is a picture, another part a scan of an Autocad drawing, the last part being instructions)
(I do not have access to Autocad since I left my company)
JP

Oh no!
A better idea.
Let’s start by this one.
It is one of the most beautifull ctge I think ! (:
And perhaps somebody will know what it is.
(it is French from 1949)
JP

JP,

That’s an interesting one…Any idea what material it is made of?

We’ll have a go at it when I get some time.

Dave

hi Dave,

Material is metal.
I don’t know which one, but with your software it must be possible to find which one. Indeed the total weight is 6.7 grams

JP

1. About the special ctge I was talking about ( (: ), here is the first prototype.
    Material is aluminium (AU4G)

2. As I told you I do not have anymore access to Autocad anymore.
    Here are the missing info.
    Due to the thickness of the walls (2 mm) being a problem when putting the insert (see next paragraph), the definitive model has the long holes rotated from 90