(Inert) 7x57 Mauser headstamp help needed ( Edited: Čaurnica, Kragujevac, Kingdom of Serbia)

Would be grateful for assistance with the identification of the following 7x57 Mauser headstamp.

The case length is 56.6mm.
The bullet can be easitly pulled out with two fingers and appears to have a thick metal jacket, that is attracted to a magnet, and a lead filling.
I’m unclear if the date indicated is 1903 or 1908.
I have no way of knowing if the bullet belongs to the case.

Would appreciate any help, or guidance, with the identification.

Sam3

2 Likes

I think it’s Serbian, probably made at Kragujevac. On the other hand, I wouldn’t, as they say, bet the farm on it. Date is probably 1908 if we assume the numeral three in this font would have had a flat top. Bullet would be really hard to pin down as to originality. Whatever it is I like it a lot. Jack

Hi Sam,

Made in 1903 at Čaurnica, Kragujevac, Kingdom of Serbia. Can’t be from 1908 because by this date the headstamp was already changed to “С К”.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Fede: In the CK headstamp what does the C represent? I’m assuming this is cyrillic alphabet. Thanks. Jack

Jack, the Serbian cyrillic “С” (S) stand for “Serbia” (Srbija / Србија).

Regards,

Fede

Fede: Thanks. I was trying to imagine something more complicated along the lines of “Royal Kragujevac [factory]” or something of that sort. Jack

Many thanks Fede & Jack for this ID…greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Sam3

This was the last year made like this. Went to CK headstamp in 1904.
ck%20small
(Photo by Will Reuter)

Another inerted 7x57 Mauser from: Čaurnica, Kragujevac, Kingdom of Serbia.

This 1902 example is slightly different to the 1903 in having a four part segmented headstamp.

Any thoughts regarding the difference would be appreciated.

3 Likes

This is from my book “Serbian Army - Weapons of Victory 1914-1918” Ammunition 7x57 with these head stamps use by Serbian Army during WW1, except the last three, which were used after the war in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia

2 Likes

How many volumes are in your book?

Greatly appreciated.
That is a wonderful collection…many thanks for sharing.
Sam3

1 Like

I love headstamp pics like that above. Happy to say I have almost all, except that segmented YK and a couple of CK dates. I would like to add that I have a CK 1905. Any significance to the dots on some? Reload marks?

For now we are on Volume 1. Next volume is still in preparation…

1 Like

Considering that I have been dealing with this for over 35 years, during which I inspected thousands and thousands of Serbian 7 mm. cartridge cases, I can say that the dots are only found on the cases produced in 1912 and 1913. These dot or dots is still a mystery. I excluded the possibility that indicate reload cases for the simple reason that I did not find a single cases produced in those years, without those points. I guess it was some internal factory marks at the time, for a series of brass or something like that…
P.S. Here couple more Serbian HS which I describe in my book, but not include on above photo of Serbian head stamps…78390991_2194443960861855_3837616981930934272_o 78616165_2194444047528513_794467403848220672_o

1 Like

What’s the story with the DWM Turkish Mauser headstamp? I have never seen that headstamp before on a 7x57 round. Reused case or headstamp error? I also like the segmented F / N / 19 / 00 / round.