Inert message in German

I am sending some drilled blanks to someone in Germany.

I usually put a note in packages that says:

THESE CARTRIDGES HAVE BEEN INERTED BY DRILLING HOLES IN THE CASES, REMOVING THE POWDER CHARGE AND TREATING THE PRIMERS WITH OIL. THEY CANNOT BE RELOADED OR FIRED, AND ARE FOR COLLECTING AND RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY.

Would anyone be able to translate this into German (or do they have a similar message already prepared?)

Thanks in advance.

Falcon, I think they will be able to read English in Germany :)
I include the same message in 3 languages: English, Russian and Ukrainian. This is SO different from shipping within the USA!!!

This is now sorted out.

One of the saving graces of speaking English is that the laguage is understood world wide.

Try Googling - AltaVista-Babel Fish Translation. I used this a lot when I shipped cartridges.

JackMack–In my opinion Google Translate does a much better job, especially with technical language.

Oil inerting is not a reliable way to inert a primer. Many types of primers have a top seal. German commercial ammo used to have an “oil proof” label on them as a selling point.

Pray that the autorities both going out there and beyond believe you and do not put you to the test.

That would be most unpleasant.

The only sure way is to snap them and even then if you do not soak the shell in solvent and wash fully the bomb dogs can smell the burnt powder.

Posting LIVE primers is a FEDERAL felony in the USA. I doubt that the UK looks on it with any lesser light.

Good Luck !

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]Oil inerting is not a reliable way to inert a primer. Many types of primers have a top seal. German commercial ammo used to have an “oil proof” label on them as a selling point.

Pray that the autorities both going out there and beyond believe you and do not put you to the test.

That would be most unpleasant.

The only sure way is to snap them and even then if you do not soak the shell in solvent and wash fully the bomb dogs can smell the burnt powder.

Posting LIVE primers is a FEDERAL felony in the USA. I doubt that the UK looks on it with any lesser light.

Good Luck ![/quote]
I agree, primer deactivation is a whole subject in its own right worthy of more discussion. I now do one week with vinegar but its largely untested. based on advice from here. Posting to the US from europe is very risky. If they see an anomoly they could extradite you, zero tollerance.

There was a discussion here on primer inerting methods some time back. I do remember that using oil was not reliable, but I don’t remember what was the best way, short of snapping the primer - maybe boiling in water? Which brings up a search question. I note the current search method on this site is not good at searching phrases. If you put Primer Inerting (with or without quotes) in the forum search box, you get results containing the words Primer and Inerting sprinkled throughout, and not necessarily the specific desired phrase “Primer Inerting”. Many search engines, such as Google, allow a phrase to be contained in quotation marks, and will search only for that phrase, not the individual words in it. Is there a way to do this on the IAA forum search?

Dennis–Your question about searching would be best answered by ChrisB. He is the person who set up our Forum and knows the program running it the best. He is out of the country for the summer, but he had told me he will be checking out the Forum as often as he can and help out when possible. I will send him a private email with your question as lots of people have problems with our current search engine. Although I am one of the Administrators on this Forum, I do not know as much as ChrisB does about the inner workings.

It is my understanding that phpBB (the software that the forum runs on) doesn’t support exact-phrase searches.

You should be able to accomplish it with Google’s advanced search, however. Go to google.com/advanced_search, enter the phrase you want to search for in the second box labeled “this exact word or phrase”, then scroll down a few lines to the box labeled “site or domain” and enter iaaforum.org.

The only caveat is that Google might not have every single thread indexed (especially newer posts), but it’s a good way to trim your search results if the built-in search function on the forum is returning too many results.