Inert US NAVY/BOEING - Special Purpose JDAM CMS VENOM DARTS

I thought these were extremely interesting. I was told that these are CMS (Counter Mine System) Venom Darts, designed by Boeing for the US Navy. From what I have learned, 4000 of these are loaded into a JDAM and released over beaches and shallow water surf zones to destroy mines laid in the sand and underwater. Apparently they can penetrate 2+ feet of sand and due to their specially designed cavitating blunt tip, up to 10 feet of sea water. The tips are made from tungsten. There seams to be two variants of these venom darts, each with a different fin stabilizer placement. This allows the darts to be stacked neatly inside the JDAM. They kinda remind me of a flechette. These are empty and 100% inert, but tactical specimens contain a fluid that destroys the mines. Darts that do not hit mines become inert.

Caveating Tungsten Tip Design

Stacked Position

CMS AIR RELEASE

APFSDS…
I assume you mean “Boeing” ?

Randy

Very cool, nice find, even with mispeld Boing :)

And the fully correct spelling then would be Böing.

Thanks Guys! Off to correct that! Alex, my keyboard can’t spell it exactly like yours or I would totally type it like that :-)

J

Jason, this is actually why Böing changed his name as the “transliteration” of “ö” is “oe” for places where the “ö” is not available as a font or is just a question of surrounding language and readability.

DTIC file of a 2008 presentation which has a few interesting pictures: dtic.mil/ndia/2008science/Da … SBrief.pdf

Two different types of darts shown in the presentation, one like those shown above and one with a narrow mid and aft section (Jason you have another one to look for).

Brian

Brian thanks for digging up this doc.
Now I really wonder how the hit probability is or how dense the dispersion pattern is. Resp. which density is set as a min. requirement.
To get a more or less acceptable result they must really use plenty of the cluster units one would think.

More info on the effect of the single darts (on ordnance items) would be interesting.

That is really interesting about how/why Boeing changed the spelling of its name, Alex. I had no idea.

Brian, thanks for that great link and photo of the other type of CMS Dart. Now I have to hunt for it :-)

Jason

Wikipedia has some interesting info

the chemical filler is DETA or HE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countermine_System

Jestertoo, thanks for the link!

Brian, was kind enough to e-mail me another great link on these CMS Darts that I figured I’d share here with some additional information and photos.

dtic.mil/ndia/2008ballistics … rybyla.pdf

Jason