Inerted .303 Gallery Practice Rounds (Edit: 8 C IV......Eley .303 Gaudet. Original HS was for a cordite loaded Mk IV ball)

A very similar .303 Gallery Practice was discussed back in 2007 when the unusual headstamp ‘8’ was shown.

This example is, I believe, a .303 Mk I Gallery Practice, Gaudet, with a deep neck cannelure to seat the bullet.

The second example is a .303 Gallery Practice using a Kynoch S.L case. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

The .303 Mk I Gallery Practice belongs to a friend, who was interested to know, if this cartridge was rare.

I’d be for grateful for any additional background on these two Gallery Practice rounds.

Sam3

1 Like

I think the .303 SL case is way too late to be a Gallery practice but if I found it I would add it to the collection then try to ID it as you have.Never seen this drill/dummy before.
8 C 1V is also an interesting headstamp.British to me rather than Canadian?
I await the replies from the experts. Ron.

I believe that the 8 in the HS indicates the case was manufactured by an external contractor. Tony Edwards shows that HS as an example of the Cartridge Gallery Practice .303 inch Mark I (Powder) Canadian Pattern. His notes state that both British and Canadian cases were reloaded, as would appear to be the case here (original HS is for a cordite loaded Mk IV ball, loaded by Royal Laboratory in Woolwich).

I too wonder about the Kynoch S.L. case, given the date.

The Kynoch SL case is definitely not correct.

The 8 C IV is an Eley .303 Gaudet, see the box below.
303%20Gaudet

1 Like

The original MkIV Cordite case was manufactured by Eley, this would then have been sent to Woolwich for filling, but never got filled and ended up being used to produce the Gaudet round as RL & Canadian produced Gaudet’s were manufactured OR could have never been sent to Woolwich and was made in to a Gaudet round by Eley. We can never know which.

Kynoch did produced a Gallery Practice Round “B” but I have no information other than it had a 115grn bullet with a CN gas check and a charge of 10grns of smokless powder.

all the best

Richard.

1 Like

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/74198-Kynoch-303-SL

The Kynoch headstamp (.303 S.L.) was post 1946.

This example has two quite deep ‘stab’ crimps that would not have been on an SL (Streamline) loading.

Probably another example of; ‘recycling.’

Sam3

Edited to add a more accurate link to bocn.co.uk

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and comments.
Sam3

Sam3
I posted this round recently under the heading SOME 303 you can view the pics under that
heading.The round was made by KYNOCH with the SL stamp and the bottom collored as
as nicely as the round shown above this post.However I always assumed that the stamp held
the meaning Stypaned lead in conjuction with the collored case bottom,the result was my
head was almost taken off.I was told it means STREAMLINED BULLET(SL).So I started to
look at that bullet and had to admit that there was visually a difference and relisted it however 100% convinced I am not and I will explain why Kynoch at the time was big why
should they not have experimented with this type of chemical and instatt using LS they used the SL the meaning is the same but what I find most strange is the colloration of the
case,my expirience with ammo is this that only if there something particular special about a
round do they mark the case in such a way,if it were only the matter of the bullet the marking SL in the headstamp would have been sufficient.Now to the round in the above
post someone stuck a lead bullet into an empty one with an SL stamp.I several GAUDETS
and this shown specimen has nothing to do with it,but the case shows the nice colloring
from the old round.
Sherryl

Hi sherryl,

I can only surmise that the coloration was added to the S.L. as; “belt and braces.”

Apologies…I’m out of my depth and can’t add much to the discussion.

Sam3

sherryl
I show here three .303 Kynoch SL boxes. Streamline Bullets for rifle match shooting.
The blackened bases signify Match use, similar to the many coloured bands used by Canada for match cartridges. Some early years were dated, later ones were not.
The 1935 box is empty but held K 35 SL headstamps.
The 1951 box is full and headstamped KYNOCH .303.S.L.
The 1963 box is empty but I assume had the same headstamp?

You did not ask for boxes but I thought the photos would help with this thread.

3 Likes

Nice boxes - thanks for sharing.

There simply is NO question that the SL on the headstamp of these Kynoch rounds stands for “Streamline Bullet.” I used to have, at the same time as my 7.9 collection, a fairly advanced .303 collection and corresponded with many with a similar interest. This ID has been know for years. I love those boxes, as I had not seen any of them before, even though I had samples of the Streamline Bullet cartridges in my collection.

John M.

You can see that the Streamline Bullet SL was used at least 10 years before the LS primer compound was used.

Hi Richard,
a Kynoch ‘B’ identified by TonyE many moons ago as a 'short range practice trials type B, the info you have on it is correct.

Tony

1 Like

ron3350
Thanks for showing the boxes I am convinced now
The best to you all
Sherryl