Info on german mauser cartridge B-patrone

Hello all. I have recently got my hands on a box of mauser ammunition that i haven’t seen before.
I will try to post a few pictures if I find out how to do so. I am looking for as much info as i can get on this round. What do the markings on the cartridge mean and what does the text on the box mean.
Would greatly appreciate any info.
Edit: apparently i could only upload one picture since I am new on the forum. But the cartridge looks “normal” apart from the lower part of the bullet which is black. The tip of the bullet is brass color.
The bottom of the cartridge has four markings: “4”, “S*”, “42” and “auy”. I think there might be a black ring around the primer.

1 Like

Hi jobjo,
Your box is for 15 “Beobachtungspatrone”, an “observation” cartridge which explodes into a bright flash when it hits a target. These were used for, among other things, seeing where machine guns hit on distance.

“auy” and “42” indicates they were manufactured by Polte, Werk Grüneberg, Germany, in 1942.

Note that these contain an inertia-set off charge (small pin that strikes upon bullet coming to an halt), DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE use an inertial bullet pullet (“bullet hammer”) on these cartridges.

A nice box - good find!

Ole

Hi jobjo, Nice box.
Here is a picture of inside the bullet. The striker/hammer has a safety collar around it, and is located directly behind the greenish explosive capsule. In the front of this, there is a phosporus filling.
As Tennsats writes, when the bullet hits a target, the hammer moves forward and set off the explosive charge. This together with the phosporus makes a puff of white smoke upon impact.

Guy who gave them to me thought they were regular tracers 😊 any idea on what it says on the box?

man. 27. mai 2019, 23:02 skrev Robert Gundersen via International Ammunition Association Web Forum cartridgecollectors@discoursemail.com:

Top left: cartridge lot 208 of 1942 from manufacturer “auy” which was the Polte factory located at Grüneberg north of Berlin. Not to be confused with Grünberg, today Zielona Gora in Poland.
Top right: also for use in tropical climates (simply the case mouth is lacquered)
Next line: the propellant type (nitrocellulose rifle flake powder with flake dimensions), which is the standard for 7.9 mm; lot 20 of 1940 made by Wolff & Co. at Walsrode.
Next line: lot and maker of the case; S* indicates the standard brass case; headstamp on the cases in the box would normally show the same data.
Bottom left: lot and maker of the bullet (also auy, not auv)
Bottom right: Lot and maker of the model 88 (corrosive) primers: “eem” is Selve-Kronbiegel-Dornheim, located at Sömmerda.

Is the casemouth the same as the neck of the bullet?

The case mouth refers to the opening of the case, into which the bullet is seated.