Info requested on this lot of ammo

I’m not an ammo collector yet.I do like vintage ammo and the boxes they come in though.
That is why I picked up this bunch as some of it I’d like to keep.
What I’d like to know is the vintage and if possible what some of it might be worth.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
Paul

The carcano box is prettu common. At least three cartridges in the clip are reloads. What are their hds?

The heads don’t have any markings other than a circle that goes around the outside of the primer pocket

Yes, that “circle” is due to the typical cannelure on Carcano ammunition heads…but, no hds? Maybe they have been erased.

The other boxes you show could date from the post-WWII period through the 1960s. It is possible that two of the Remington boxes at the bottom could be earlier, and the easy way to tell is if the letter “R” precedes the index number printed on the front of the box. The .38 LC box at the top is probably later 1960s.

Thanks for the help so far I will check and see if the R is present.
Nothing erased on the caranco just the circle
One of the boxes on the 30/40 stuff does have that protected primer

I put my glasses on…gee they help
Looks like B P at the top and C 40 at the bottom

and the easy way to tell is if the letter “R” precedes the index number printed on the front of the box.

I didn’t see an R present if I’m checking them correctly

If the R is not there, post-WWII.

30-40 Krag cartridges with the Protected Primer ??..Can we see a scan of the cartridge head ?

Randy

Yes, a protected primer found in a .30-40 cartridge from that box would be interesting indeed.

sorry guys I was wrong about the primers

Weatherby,

it should be BP C-49 . Many carcano hds are quite hard to read

[quote=“Pivi”]Weatherby,

it should be BP C-49 . Many carcano hds are quite hard to read[/quote]

They certainly are
Thank You

I think the ammo in at least one of The Krag boxes is a lot older than the box itself.
The case head reads UMC QS 12 and has a FMJ round nose bullet so would it be from 1912?

[quote=“30army”]30-40 Krag cartridges with the Protected Primer ??..Can we see a scan of the cartridge head ?

Randy[/quote]

Most in the other box is named after you 30 army super speed

does a UMC headstamp with QS and 12 mean the Krag ammo is 100 years old?

The earliest headstamp used by Union Metallic Cartridge Co. on .30-40 Krag cartridges was U.M.C. 30 CAL. , beginning in 1895. This was soon changed to U.M.C. .30 U.S.A., which is a fairly common headstamp. There are four known “military” style headstamps….U M C 10 06, 11 06, 12 06 and 5 07. UMC and Remington were merged in 1911, so by 1912 or so, the headstamp was changed to REM-UMC 30 USA.

Randy