Interesting pinfire headstamps!

Hello Everybody,
a good friend of me posted me the following pictures.

The OHC is Orbea Hermanos Cartucheria
The Madrid one looks like the old Eley style.
The UEE with acorn looks German.

Any ideas and comments are welcome.

regards rené

Pretty sure the UEE is Spanish.

yes UEE is Spanish.

But René is right, the case is from German origin.

Till about 1930 UEE was not manufacturing the cases but buying them from foreign manufacturers.

From 1908 (and perhaps before) to 1925 (and perhaps later) the cases were manufactured by SFM.

Some other case cases were manufactured by RWS (picture of René)

jp

René, the Orbea company had several names but it was never designated “Orbea Hermanos Cartucheria”. The correct designation applicable to this headstamp would be “Orbea Hermanos y Cía.”, but I’m not aware that they ever used this marking and it was not registered as a trademark. If this cartridge is attributable to this company it may date from before 1896, when they started to manufacture shotshells.

Regarding number 2, I believe that it was made for Aramburu e Hijos in Madrid, Spain. In the 1870’s-90’s they had a cartridge factory and traded using a similar headstamp in various calibres. Also, they distributed Eley brand shotshells and had a representative in London.

I agree on number 3, it was made by RWS for Unión Española de Explosivos, the explosives monopoly that destroyed the commercial cartridge business in Spain. Thanks to them, Orbea established its company in Argentina.

Regards,

Fede

Another interesting one but this one tells you all you need to know;

Mike.

Hi Mike.

Great one!!

Never seen this one before.

Regards rené

[quote=“Fede”]
I agree on number 3, it was made by RWS for Unión Española de Esplosivos, the explosives monopoly that destroyed the commercial cartridge business in Spain. Thanks to them, Orbea established its company in Argentina.

Regards,

Fede[/quote]

Hi Fede,

Thank you again for the great info!!
Can you explain me what you mean by that they destroyed the commercial cartridge business in Spain?

regards rené

Hi René,

UEE was a company established in 1896 that merged nine explosive manufacturers, seven of which made dynamite, one gunpowder, and one fuses. In 1897 it was granted with the monopoly of all explosives industries in Spain and its colonies for a period of 20 years (ending September 1917). The UEE had to pay a compensation for cease of activities to all the other small manufacturers of gunpowder and explosives located in the country. Also, it was supposed to start the manufacture of certain powders needed for the local market, but failed to comply the contract and these had to be imported from abroad.

Later, this monopoly of explosives was extended to include empty shotshells(!), and the only manufacturer still in existence, which was Orbea, had to comply with a very abusive contract to continue its operations in the country, that required a production of 6 million shotshells for the UEE. Although this quantity was delivered, Orbea decided to close their shotshell factory located in Eibar in 1912 and to dedicate all their effort to the factory established in 1906 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. This was the end of the last cartridge manufacturer operating in the country and meant that in the future all had to be imported from abroad.

After the monopoly was over, Orbea resumed shotshell manufacture in Spain, but now in a new factory established in Victoria.

Regards,

Fede

Here is my only U.E.E. Pinfire… Just thought I may as well add the pictures to the discussion.

Some nice looking shotshells!

Hi Fede,

Thank you for the explanation!!
Now I know the story about it.

Many regards rené