Interesting (Unknown 2 me) Aircraft Gun Ammunition - German?

I have got to get that book of yours next Tony! I now have 2 of your other books which are just incredible!

These turrets and gun systems are so fascinating! I found some other good, relevant turret pictures I’ll add when I get back from work latter :-) Thanks to everyone for such great info.

[quote=“DocAV”]Not only did the Germans have wing-mounted (remote) Turrets, but the Russians also had an early War (late 30s) design Bomber, with gun turrets in the inboard Engine nacelles at the rear…and manned!! Not a comfortable place to be if an engine caught fire…
But then the Russians also launched Paratroopers off the wings as well…no shortage of “volunteers”…courtesy of the NKVD ("jump or we shoot you, and then you fall anyway, comrade!!)

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.[/quote]

Doc, the Russians were very inventive. The first “airborne troops” were dropped off without parachutes. The pilot just flew over snow dunes and the poor guys dropped (dead sometimes).

In the 1960’s they became much more humane, having parachutes the pilot just pulled up with open loading bay doors and noone had to be asked and noone refused to jump.

Things can be so simple when humanity has not to be taken into account.

On top of everything else it’s quite a remarkable piece of plastic moulding.

Peter

Found this picture of a maned wing turret.

Hey Jason

The Flying Guns WWII (pg 239)book designates that as an EDL 131 turret with MG 131 gun. Hard to tell for sure, but that looks as though it might be mounted on the top of the fuselage vs a wing.

Rick

The image Jason has posted depicts an FW200 bomber; the turret was mounted just aft of the cockpit on the fuselage. JG

A couple of observations:

The flutes are definitely on the standard MG 131 belt links.

There’s something terribly wrong with the “gunner” – his left and rignt shoulders are missing. This feels like a cut-and-paste job.

It is hard to tell in the photo what is part of the gunner and what is just “cockpit apparatus” but if he is wearing a jacket with standard enlisted man’s shoulder epaulets, then I think his shoulders are there. If I am seeing correclty, it appears that you can see a strap going over his left shoulder - perhaps a parachute or seat harness of some sort, and a white edged shoulder epaulet on his right shoulder.

I could be seeing things, the different reflections of the plexyglass windows makes it hard to tell. It is obviously a posed shot, if not a paste-up, shot prbably with the plane sitting on the ground. Don’t know how one would get such a photo otherwise, from the angle it is taken at.

Probably doesn’t matter, since the gun-placement in the turret and the gun and its ammo itself are the matters of interest. It would be fun to know, though.

There are a number of other things wrong as well.

The scale of gunner vs. gun is wrong. The gun is about twice as big as it should be relative to the gunner.

The gunner’s position is wrong. In the single MG 131 manned turrets, the gunner was behind the gun – he didn’t have it in his armpit. The flex MG 131 has a pistol-grip and trigger control at the rear of the receiver which this guy is nowhere near.

The reason you can’t see the sights is that you can’t see either end of the gun.

Here’s a pretty good link w/pics of the MG131 in a couple of configurations. The rear sight is apparently missing or has been removed in the posted (original) pic. Or maybe the pictured gunner (Chuck Norris’ uncle?) didn’t need no stinkin’ sights.

warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/mg131.html