Iranian, Syrian and unknown 7.62x39-mm headstamps

Headstamps that I have documented along the way. I welcome any/all discussion.

Iranian, 1995 production.

I am unsure. Any ideas?

I believe it to be some sort of Yugo contract. Any ideas?

Again, I believe it to be Yuog contact. Comments?

Fairly confident, about 99.9%, the remaining are Syrian:

Chris–I think the 0 1 0 headstamp is most likely BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA. They normally use 0 1 1, but your 0 1 0 has all the other characteristics of BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA. including the spacing between the numbers. This is a new headstamp to me.

I can not quite make out the first character on the second headstamp. Is it an I or a P? Again, a new headstamp.

I would agree with your identification of the rest of the headstamps.

The Second headstamp is Syrian, and the top letters are FM. I have it in 9mm with a firm ID, and others just like mine showed up in Iraq.

Looks like you have a solid ID on the first headstamp as Iranian. I have been carrying the 9mm equilivant of it as probably Iranian. I’ve got examples, mostly fired cases going back to 1995. I have written on the forum about the grainy finish on these headstamps. I think that Olympic Arms (EDP headstamp) has been buying this stuff and reselling. I have similar grainy headstamps marked EDP, and similar headstamps in Olympic boxes in 7.92x57mm. There are two incidents documented where these headstamps in 9mm were mixed in Olympic 9mm. This headstamp is quite different from Iranian headstamps of the same vintage. I wonder if it is some kind of export contract, and if so, who it is for. The 9mm showed in a box with an English language label and Arabic hand written on it! The square style primer crimps are also distinctively Iranian.

The discussion above brings up the question of who made headstamps 8, 9 & 11 which have the same format as #1, but lack the grainy finish and the square primer crimps. The letter style also looks different to me. Perhaps these are Syrian???

Cheers,

Lew

Lew–Do you have the factory name and location in Syria for the “F M” headstamp or what “F M” stands for.

“The 9mm showed in a box with an English language label and Arabic hand written on it!”

Lew, are you sure it is Arabic, and has it been translated? As I’m sure you know, Arabic and Farsi share the same alphabet. It would be neat if it said something like “To be sent to Ahmadinijad for approval”, in Farsi!

Chris,

some very exciting items there, especially the 010 and the FM! The 010 looks like my 011 which came from a sterile box of 40 and is said to be made by IK during the civil war. The following not headstamped item is said to originate from the same maker and period.

Don’t I see ejector marks on items 5, 8, 9 and 11? Reloads or not, finger-licking good finds!

Hans–As I said in a post above, 0 1 1 is positive ID as Igman d.d. Konjic, Donje Polje 42, 88400 Konjic, Bosnia and Herzegovina. That 0 1 0 sure looks to be the same factory. I have NO idea who the F M is. I’m hoping that Lew knows more than that it is Syrian. Both of these headstamps are new to me. I have most of the others, or at least different dates of their styles.

Ron,
I also put my hopes on Lew. Maybe he can bring out more than one possible name and location: I only have very few Syrian boxes, but one is marked “plant 823” (date 70) and the other “plant 837” (date 71). Like the Yugo era IK and PPU: there is no visible difference, neither in the cartridges nor in the boxes. So they must somehow be closely related (“owned by the state…” is not enough of explanation).

The “FM” headstamps exists on 9 mm Para and 7.65 mm Browning as well, both with Syrian characteristics. I am sure it is the factory E.I.D. (Etablissements Industriels de Defense), and I personally suspect that the “FM” stands simply for “Fabrique Militaire,” (Military Factory) which is another way to say "“Defense Industry.” And yes, that is just a guess. No documentation.

John Moss

I think John is on the right track with EID. The problem is I don’t know whether EID is the military procurement agency or the actual arsenal. Some of my rounds with EID headstamps or boxes look like they could be contract loads, but it could just be that somebody like SFM just set up the equipment. I have no insight into how many arsenals making SAA there are in Syria. Peter Labbett shows:

DEFENSE INDUSTRIES
FACTORY 837

I have been working under the impression that there was a single SAA plant in Syria.

Jon,
I think I know where you are going. I thought it may be Farsi and that would nail down the ID a bit more. I sent a copy to a friend in Iraq and it is Arabic—too bad.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew–It was my understanding that EID was the administrative agency that was was in charge of all the different factories doing military work, not the actual arsenal. If so, there may be 1 or 10 ammunition making facilities, all of which are run by EID. This, I think, is shown to be the case with Han’s “plant 823” (date 70) and the other “plant 837 (date 1971” boxes.

Do you have anything more on the F M headstamp?

Oh well, Lew. What did the label say?

Is Syrian the crudest made ammo in the world, or there is a worse one?

Schneider,

I never fired Syrian ammo, but had a lot of ctgs. made there in my hands. From this I can tell that their cartridges made until the early 2000s are far from being crude. If you want to see crude make just look at Iranian (or even worse late Iraqi) ctgs.

From some of the images shown further up you cannot judge, I believe those looking really crude are reloads.