Is this a bullet

found with a metal detector. solid lead, Any help on an ID would be good, thanks …paul.

Looks like a “Tusker” made for the Paradox guns.

After a phone call from Jim Miles pointing out I have not put on any base dimensions …! well it is 0.760" or 19.29mm. Jim thinks is a 12 bore solid shot. So the next question who would have made it? and would it have been military use? thanks…paul.

Chickenthief… what is a Tusker?

Timeout
You have a Paradox bullet. At the end of the evolution of these, this was one of the results. It was for use in dangerous game country when you might be out looking for a bird for the pot you came across something that could kill you. Thus in the 2nd barrel you kept one of these, The gun was a smoothbore with just the last two inches rifled. Thus the name Paradox.
These bullets were / are found in a very large number of shells by a number of ammunition makers & gun makers who sold the mostly bespoke guns.

Never heard them refereed to as “Tusker” but I’d guess it is referring to the Elephant. They came about mostly because of the large numbers of Buffalo liking the same terrain as the dinner & the earliest were called Cape Guns (noting the Cape of S. Africa) with one barrel smooth & the other fully rifled.

The hollow point could be filled with a copper tube with one closed end or wax filled to promote expantion. Made in gauges from 8 to 16, & found in coiled brass, drawn brass and paper cases. And companies also offered hand powered reloading tools to use in the brush when on safari.
The large & deep waist in the bullet was often heavily case-crimped into to keep the bullet from moving with repeated shots over time coming from the other barrel.

Scan from H&H c. 1910-12 catalog:

Thanks gents…what would that be doing in a field in Ireland? I think the biggest thing they have here is a Red Deer! … paul

Paul,

At .760" dia. it would be a real tight squeeze in a 12 bore. Perhaps a 10 bore projectile?

Dave

Paul
Perhaps just shooting it at paper?

Well I just got corrected, & I agree. This bullet does not appear to have been fired, even through a smoothbore.

So I’ll go with a hole in the pocket holding it.

many thanks to everyone for the info…paul

Perhaps someone was looking for the killer rabbit of Caerbannog.

if you said it was a Leprechaun killer I could understand that. Who would want to kill fluffy bunny’s!

Well, that’s no ordinary rabbit! That’s the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on! That rabbit’s got a vicious streak a mile wide! It’s a killer!

From Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Please forgive if this is duplicated above. I have made quite a study of the Paradox, having attempted for many years to find a 'smith who could rifle one choke for me, the cost of a “real” Paradox firearm approaching the price of a small home.

Fosbery patented the Paradox “rifling” in 1885, H&H made 12, 16, & 20 ga Paradox, and Charles Lancaster made one he called “The Colindian” with a “… smooth oval bore…”, I would presume to get by the patent restrictions on “Paradox”? And Kynoch patented what looks much like your bullet in 1924.

12%20Bore%20Paradox%20Bullet%20Kynoch%20Drawing%201924

Fosberry%20Rifling%20Patent%201885|640x32812%20Bore%20Paradox%20Bullet%20Kynoch%20Drawing%201924|640x49944595419|689x1013Paradox Bore & Bullets.pdf (211.8 KB)

This does not technically qualify as a “Paradox”, but it was being advertised as such about 12 years ago, thoughjt I would include it just in case…

Paradox Bore & Bullets.pdf (211.8 KB)
1121602%20Double%20Paradox-Shotgun