Is this cartridge related?

Someone emailed me about this. We are wondering if it is cartridge related?

Rim .526
Head .439
Case Length .948
Over All Length 1.029
Over All With Pin 1.613
Crimp Opening .346

Hi Aaron,

Looks like a kind of thermoswitch for some electric device to me.

Have a nice day,
Richard

Hello Aaron, a couple of these were reported by collectors in the 1980’s but I don’t know what they are. There is also a version in .36 caliber (at right).

Before seeing your picture I thought these had some sort of ignition nipple on its base, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. If these are cartridges I have no idea how they work and the excesive bullet crimp seems to be very unpractical (present on all specimens).

Hello Aaron,

I posted a similar item awhile back.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8686

I believe you were involved in the discussion. It was also titled “Is this cartridge related?” No conclusions were reached. Also I believe in one of the recent IAA Journals it was pictured with a request for information.
If you find out anything please let me know.

Paul

Hi Aaron.

The only way to answer the question as to whether this is a cartridge or not is to section one. I suspect that you may be disappointed with the results. Or on the otherhand you may have something interesting. Only cutting will tell.

Cheers,
Will.

Aaron
Can you ask if the “bullet” is spring loaded, If you compress it does it move? Doesn’t look to be lead. Try a magnet.

I’ve seen similar things which are cabinet ‘locks’

I could have sworn I had seen something similar on here before! But all I could find is that unfinished wirepoint bullet from last year.

I will ask about the springloadedness

OK well, we are finally getting a little more answers.

First, here is an xray of one of the ones with a smaller (broken?) tube, such as Paul’s and the ones in Fede’s pictures.

It is a hollow tube that appears to be a frontal ignition tube. The owner of the one with the longer (more complete and unbroken?) tube says that he has probed inside it and it goes a little further than the tube until it hits what he believes is the base of the lead bullet.

Pete, he says it is not springy, and he is familiar with the detent type switches.

Also, he said the little 2mm pinfire caps (that sit on the little pin that shove down the hole of a pinfire shotshell to reload them without use of a recapping tool, see forum topic here) like the following pictures of mine, I believe, fit on the tube.

How about a percussion Pauly cartridge?? Kinda looks like one.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]How about a percussion Pauly cartridge?? Kinda looks like one.

Ray[/quote]

I mentioned this when a similar cartridge was posted a couple years ago (which I could not find when I posted this new topic!)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8686

Everything was inconclusive.

I think this X-ray may help the patent experts here though!

[quote=“RayMeketa”]How about a percussion Pauly cartridge?? Kinda looks like one.

Ray[/quote]

Hello
It cannot be a Pauly ctge.
Because Pauly ctges have no nipple.

(I know such ctges are designed as Pauly in some US auction catalogues, but it is an error)

jp

jp

I’ll admit that I am ignorant when it comes to things such as Pauly cartridges. During the recent thread on the 1876 Cal .45 souvenirs, I was reading Berk Lewis’ 1972 report on small arms ammunition at the US Centennial Exposition, and I noticed a photograph of two Pauly cartridges, one with a nipple for a percussion cap. Page 46. As I said it looks a lot like the one that we’re discussing here.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]jp

I’ll admit that I am ignorant when it comes to things such as Pauly cartridges. During the recent thread on the 1876 Cal .45 souvenirs, I was reading Berk Lewis’ 1972 report on small arms ammunition at the US Centennial Exposition, and I noticed a photograph of two Pauly cartridges, one with a nipple for a percussion cap. Page 46. As I said it looks a lot like the one that we’re discussing here.

Ray[/quote]

Hello Ray,
as soon as I have time I will make a short list with pictures to clarify the subject

jp

sorry for the delay

here is the Pauly ctge (no nipple)

here is the Roux ctge (with nipple)

these drawings are patent drawings.
jp