Israeli 7.9x57mm wood blanks

Israeli 7.9x57mm wood blanks are found with several different color/shaped bullets. Does anyone know if any were designed for special use or were they all intended for training use?

Good question. I don’t recall ever seeing the yellow one. I’ll forward this to an older friend there and see if he knows.

I have over twenty of these blanks in my collection. I have nine of the yellow ones dated from XII-51 to II-54 (your Type 1). The pointed purple ones (your Type 2) in my collection are dated from XI-54 to VI-56. My RN purple one (your type 3) is dated VI-56. Significantly, I think, I only have one of these. I have two rosebud crimped blanks dated VII-54 and 7-56. I have no Israeli blanks dated after 7-56.

I think the rosebud crimped blanks are probably riflegrenade-launching blanks. While I have only found two dates spread two years apart, I suspect they are independent of the wood-bulleted blanks.

A look at the dates on the wood bullet ones would lead one to believe that the yellow pointed ones were replaced by the purple pointed ones, and that the purple pointed ones were replaced by the RN purple one. I don’t know if this is true or not, but that’s the way the ones I have stack up as to dates.

It would appear that all the blanks were discontinued in 1956 in this caliber.
I would normally think that these blanks could be found on cases of most any date prior to their discontinuance, due to use of rejected or even fired cases, but mine fall into the sequence of production noted, as if they were loaded on new cases each time. None of my blanks have cases that show any of the signs of being fired once and reloaded. Whether they were reject cases, I don’t know.

Those are great pictures, by the way!

I am probably the biggest novice here and the least experienced, but could the purple one be experimental? I recently learned that in the UK and maybe some other countries use purple to indicate experimental? Just a guess :-)

Jason

[quote=“APFSDS”]I am probably the biggest novice here and the least experienced, but could the purple one be experimental? I recently learned that in the UK and maybe some other countries use purple to indicate experimental? Just a guess :-)

Jason[/quote]

Purple wood bullets are the norm for Israeli 7.62x51 blanks, so it is doubtful that it has any significance in 7.92. AFAIK no other countries use that color to indicate experimentals on a regular basis like the UK.

Thanks so much! The only reason I guessed on it was a few years ago I saw a photo of a experimental 120MM APFSDS UK tank projectile. Its sabot was stenciled solely in purple and the guy mentioned it was their color to indicate experimental. Thanks for hooking me up with a better explanation :-)

Jason

APFDS - be careful of generalizing about British use of Purple as being for experimental ammunition only. A standard marking for a normal high-pressure proof round is a purple stripe across the head, and the primer seal color for ordinary ball rounds of many calibers is purple.

It is true, though, that experimental rounds often have some sort of purple marking as well.

John Moss

Thanks so much for the added information to my knowlege base, John :-)