Israeli 8x57 Headstamps

At a gun show last weekend, I came across 20 primed (and unfired) 8x57 brass cases. All cases seem to have what appear to be Hebrew headstamp markings in the form of two symbols which look like the Greek letter Pi (called Chet, I think) with a dash or comma between, plus “SS” plus a date in the form of “5-56”. I don’t see any Israeli references in the headstamp list. They are boxer primed, with domed nickeled primers. I am guessing they were military cartridges with the bullets and powder removed. Any ideas what they might be? Incidentally, I bought them for a dollar with the idea of reloading them as they are boxer primed. Will punch out the original primers and replace them with known non-corrosive primers.

Original 7,9mm (NOT “8”!!!) Israeli heavy “SS” ball…198gn FMJ-BT.
Primers are corrosive boxer.
Israel also made a Vz47 copy ( similar to German SmE 170 grains,) but with lead core, like the Vz47. For Rifle (Kar98k) use.
The SS was mostly for MG34/42, Vz37, and ZB30 use.

Very good brass. I got a couple hundred backin the late 60s, used them in a Vz98N, then converted 100 to 7,7x58 Type 99 Japanese…reloaded them over 20 times( moderate charge with 174 grn .303 FMJs, with occasional annealing) and still use them for cast bullet shooting in my “substitute” late Type 99 rifle.

Doc AV
Btw, the primers will decap easily, with care…even if live.

Can you post a pic of the headstamp?

This is a picture of the HS. Note that I have already removed the original primer and replaced it with a non-corrosive Remington 9-1/2 primer. The original primer was crimped in place, but it popped out easily. I needed to ream the primer pockets to seat the replacement primers. Does anyone know the meaning of the Hebrew characters? I plan to use these in my Egyptian Hakim semiauto. Sort of ironic.

The SS comes from “schweres Spitzgeschoss” (heavy pointed bullet); German abbreviation sS.

My Israeli is very rough from lack of practice, but it looks like: Tav “T”, Yud “Y”, Mem “M”, (as you see them stmped on the casing), which, read right to left, I think means T’aasiya Tz’vaeet , for Military Industries, at the Natzaret [spelling?] factory?
The SS could be a heavy bullet, 198 grain maybe?
They used this basic HS 1951 to mid-1956.

I just knew someone here would know the answers. Thanks

Hold on a shniyah (second) you’re reading it backwards. The letters are MEM, YUD, TOF…or MYT. The name of the ammo factory at that time was Mifal l’Yitzur Tachmoshet (Factory for the Production of Ammunition). And just to complete the thought, there’s no language called “Israeli”, it is Hebrew.

I DID mention lack of practice… my Grandma’ is probably rolling over in her grave, in Israel.
And I did specify, “… (as you see them stmped on the casing)…”

And?
I guess I’ve had more “practice” and your post needed correcting.
End of story.

jonnyc You know, I also DID state, “… which, read right to left, I think means…”, so, what was your point?

Oh, and it’s Natzeret Alit (Upper Nazareth).