Italian. 303 for marksman

During this stop period you have to tidy up the collection.
I found some packages of. 303 Italian used by the marksmen.
It is not about ammunition with different ball weights but only lots of cartridges with more uniform performance.

These ammunition were used used in Italy on Enfield N 4 rifles with optics. (copy made in Italy in the Terni arsenal of the English version)

Regards
Nicola

4 Likes

Nicola,

Thank you very much for showing this … the charger clip is not the usual “5 hole per side” GM Italian version, could you tell me what the markings are on the chargers.

Pete

No markings

Thank you, that’s interesting as I’ve never seen an unmarked MkIII … the Italian made ones I have are all marked “GM” apart from two marked “SMI”.

Pete

Maybe there are markings on the other side with 5 holes?

Do you mean that Terni made copies of the optics or the complete rifles?

No, no marking

1 Like

So, in my opinion, the British have given us as a war aid the worst optics they had in stock, that is, the N.32 MK1 which are impossible to calibrate. Since you don’t look in the mouth at the donated horse, we kept them and we made them rework, putting on our brands. It is not otherwise explained why, since we are talking about 1951/1952 we do not have. adopted the N.32 Mk3 optics already available. since 1944 and much better.

What does the red overstamp say on your box?

27/5000

Another year of production

2 Likes

For marksman

Hello Giovanni
I have seen this box of Capua from Stefano

The red marking say “Per tiratori scelti”, that literally means “For selected shooters”.

1 Like

For understand… Italian army definition of Tiratore scelto, is to Closer to the definition of marksman, the “selected shooters” in the Italian army were not equipped with optics.

1 Like

Also, BPD and SMI ( and Capua) had a long experience making 7,7 for the Regia Aeronautica, since WWI…Lewis and Vickers Air
and Breda,/Safat models. After WWII, they simply continued with the MkVIIz clone, for Infantry weapons. (Also made for export
Egypt, etc) GFL also made it for commercial and military use ( 1950s catalogue).
Tiratore scelto: originally meant
“Selected shooter” of a unit. Also called “Cecchino” after the Snipers
Of the Austro Hungarian Army, with scoped M95s;
Cecchino from " cecco- beppe"
An Italian nick-name for Francesco Giuseppe ( Franz Josef).
Became a common Italian name for any Sniper with or without optics.
The Military term in Italian remained “Tiratore scelto”, as a soldier with a Marksmans badge.
Rifles factory selected, and special lots of ammo prepared ( usu. By Figure of merit selection).

Our Italian members will have more info.
Doc AV
Una pallottola per ogni nemico, un nemico per ogni Pallotola.
( a bullet for every one of the enemy; one enemy for every bullet.)
In other words, don’t waste ammo!!

1 Like

The other box posted by Giovanni, whit cartridge and marking on the clip

Thank you … this is a re-used Canadian Mk IV charger, with the Broad Arrow acceptance mark within “C” marking.

Pete

This charger ( C^ IV) does Not have the Elongated split hole of Aussie and Brit. MK IV chargers.
This one looks like a Mark III, which was too stiff to strip cartridges easily.
Canadian Problem??? MARK IV introduced in 1917, widespread by 1920s. Any further info on Canadian charger history?
Doc AV

Would that be the Mk IV* or Mk 4?

1 Like

The change from Mk IV to MK 4 was done post-1945 when the nomenclature of all items was changed from using Roman to Arabic numerals.

I even have an Enfield spike bayonet where the original mark was defaced and the new sort stamped below … I suppose it kept folk busy.

Pete

1 Like