Italian 7.62 mm NATO clips

Since Italy adopted garand rifles both in 30/06 and in 7.62 mm NATO and later the BM 62 ( very similar to the M14 rifle)I would like to know why Italian factories packed 7.62 mm ammo with stripper clips.
Were they used to fill BM 62 magazines only?
Are they suitable for other rifles such as mauser k98?

I can post a picture of these clips if you like to see them

Pivi

[quote=“Pivi”]Since Italy adopted garand rifles both in 30/06 and in 7.62 mm NATO and later the BM 62 ( very similar to the M14 rifle)I would like to know why Italian factories packed 7.62 mm ammo with stripper clips.
Were they used to fill BM 62 magazines only?
Are they suitable for other rifles such as mauser k98?

I can post a picture of these clips if you like to see them

Pivi[/quote]

Pivi,

As a clips man I would like to see these clips please.

gravelbelly

Here is the picture of these clips.They are very similar to those made for mauser k98.They are made by societ

Pivi - while I am sure that there is probably a magazine loading device for the BM59 rifle, where magazines can be loaded with stripper clips while out of the rifle, all BM59 rifles (BM59; BM59 Mark I; BM59 Mark II) have a stripper-clip guide built onto the rifle, at the front of the rear sight housing, much like that on a U.S. M14 rifle. I had a BM59 years and years ago, and it was easily reloaded through the top of the weapon with standard NATO stripper clips, as I recall.

If necessary, I can scan a picture from the last edition of “Small Arms of the World” showing a rifle with the bolt open and the stripper clip in place, although in this case, I don’t really think a picture is necessary.

John Moss

Thanks John.I made a mistake in my topic:I wrote BM 62 instead of BM 59.That was the BM 59 sold on the civilian market without the full auto selector and with the magazine capacity reduced to 5 rounds and renamed “BM 62”

Pivi

Your Italian clip is made to the NATO specs and will work in any of the magazine charging adaptors or rifles that are intended to use NATO standard 7.62x51mm ammunition. It won’t work with any original K98 type Mauser rifles.

As John pointed out there there’s an adaptor for use with the BM59 rifles, these adaptors are seldom encountered even in the military.

[i]BM59 magazine charging adaptor (Left), M14 ‘Filler’ (Right)[/i]

[i]Italian Clips[/i]
BPD marked clip

SMI marked clip (small marking)

SMI marked clip (larger marking)

I have both of SMI types of clips.Why do you refer to SMI as "societ

[quote=“Pivi”]I have both of SMI types of clips.Why do you refer to SMI as "societ