Italian made 6.5x52 Carcano - German labeling

I just came across this very interesting box images.
Besides showing the already scare Italian labeling it also has an additional labeling in German.

I thought some of you will like it as much as I did.

Source: internet

(103) (104) (105) (106) (109) (110) (111)

3 Likes

Great box! Thanks for sharing.

Standard Italian Army crate for Carcano ammo in 18 round packs in 3 clips. that is 90 packets. Since the Italian scale of Issue per man was 162 rounds…27.chargers, that meant a crate every 10 soldiers… since there were
10 soldiers in a squad or section…ammunition requirements were easily calculated in the field.

Ammo lot 2/43, so made and delivered before Sept 8th
Armistice…thus German siezed and relabelled post 8th September 1943.
Very nice historical piece…could have gone to Germany for 1944-45 VolksSturm etc, or the Atlantic Wall ( Brixia M35s mortar propulsion blanks found in Belgium).
Or just re- issued to German controlled RSI troops in northern Italy or Slovenian border areas.
I have a similar crate, just the 6,5 markings and a lot of Interarms etc markings and some white outs.

The Italians were very pragmatic in their organisation of ammo supply: just the exact amount per the TO, and not a round more…War is not perfect as they soon found out!

Thanksfor posting.
Doc AV
PS EOD, you have given the case end scale with the tape, could you measure up the entire case, LxWx Depth, and the Thickness of the board, my case is distorted etc, by drying out. The dovetsil system I can work out.
I want to make a film/museum quality replica including Italian labels.

< info@avbtechservices.com.au >

Doc, I have no access to this crate, these images were taken off the internet.

But here 3 more images which I did not post above since the value for the others was little but for a reproduction they may be helpfull.

(101) (111) (112)

Thank you EOD, I thinkfrom all thr photos, you tape measure scale, my distorted crate, and knowing the dimensions of the 18 round carton, ican reliably
Re- engineer close to original design Specifications.
The Dove tailing willbe the hardest…it will have to be done by hand saw and chisel, as my routing skills and dado table saw cutting are not my forte ( besides, I don’t have the accessories to do it quickly.).Maybe I should invest in the necessaries.
But that way I will improve my woodworking skills… I know the theory, now to put it into practice.
The Metal parts Latches, Hinges and straps are not a problem…some I can do, some my Toolmaker friend with experience in Latch etc. Making for other types of chests csn come to my rescue.
Thanks for all the Photos. Much appreciated.

Doc AV

No problem!
Maybe you can show us images when you are done?

Cool crate, wish I had one!

This might be a silly question…
I got most of it, but, what was “Solenite” powder?
Common, or something special to Italy?

Solenite: Italian developed Nitro powder for the M91 cartridge ( actually M91/95 design)
Initially Italy used Nobel’s Ballistite…a double based
Nitro cellulose/Nitroglycerine powder patented by Nobel. It was made by Nobel’s Avigliana ( near Turin)
Explosives Factory for the Italian Gov’t under a
Royalty scheme.
The powder was very fast ( still used as a shotgun powder till recently) and very hot andbarrel erosive
( less than 5000 round barrel life…that’s why many 1890s 1900s Carcano rifles have been Tubata…sleeved with a new rifled tube.)
The Solenite was short maccaroni shaped " solenoids"
Like the copper wound relay magnets in telephones etc
Hence the name. The powder was milder burning and slower ( about IMR 3031 quality) and less erosive.
It was uncoated ( no flame retardants or stabilizers)
And the color varied from an unbleached calico color to a bronzy brown.
And it was very stable in storage and in cartridges…1930s Solenite can be transferred to new boxer primed cases as the original Italian primers are dead, and the .204" cap is dead and gone since the early 1960s.
Doc AV
PS Liri is the factory which produced Solenite ( gov’t owned).

1 Like

Thans, Doc, appreciate the info!!

Upon further consideration of the inside of the crate lid, there are two shallow reliefs for what are obviously
Pull-to-Open handles…of a Zinc sheet or Tinplate Liner
within the crate…a common water proofing method for European Ammo supply.
Has anybody got a photo of such a metal liner???
TIA
Doc AV.