Italian Schwarzlose belt

Hello,

Here is a question for our Italian friends.

Hereafter is an Italian Schwarzlose belt for caliber 8x50R Austrian.

The Italian designation for that weapon was “Mitragliatrici Schwarzlose Mod. 915 di fanteria”.

Here is a closeup of the ink stamp.

Please can anyone give the meaning of the “FAB” marking under crown.

When was this marking used ? WW1 ? interwar ?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

JF

I can’t help with most of your questions, sorry, but Fabrica d’Armi di Brescia used the “FAB” acronym on the RIFLES they manufactured; it’s possible they also did these feed-belts.

Yes, the logo is " Fabbrica d’Armi Brescia". After first WW, Italy captured thousands of Schwartzlose MG and Steyr M95 with wich were rearmed colonial troops. The caliber 8x50R was also produced by SMI,BPD, Pirotecnico di Bologna and an unknown marked M8-1937. (ball, dummy, blank and “mitraglia”)

Thanks a lot for those answers.

Vittorio, does the style of the logo give any clue as to the period used ?
Was this logo used during WW1 or only after WW1 ?

What king (or queen) does the crown refer to ? I am sorry to confess that I have very little knowledge on Italian history …

Cheers,

JF

I hope that my answer will be correct.
My fight with english language is very hard, and I cannot write anything I would like to write.
The FAB (regia fabbrica d’armi Brescia) was founded in 1804, under the Imperial Austrian government and came italian after the second Indipendence war in 1859. The factory produced many weapons including revolver “Bodego”, Vetterli rifles and Carcano. The logo that is on the belt was retained up to second WW.
The use of Austrian made guns was in the period after first WW and reserved to colonial troops and some reserve unity.
The italian monarchy was only for “male line” and the king in the period 1900-1946 was Vittorio Emanuele III di Savoia.
Thanks God, in my opinion, since 1946 Italy is a Republic.

Vittorio - your English is completely understandable - far better than my poor Itlaian. If you ever want to write a short article for the IAA Journal, write it the best you can in English and send it to me and I will “clean up” the grammar to the best of my ability. I already do that for a Czech friend who has written many articles recently for IAA. You can email it to me, along with the pictures you wish to put into the article, and I will edit the writing for you and send it on to the Editor along with the pictures. He will place the pictures where they belong in keeping with the page format of the Journal. Unfortunately, my Italian is not good enough, most likely, to simply translate direct from italian.

Both Captured and “Surrendered” (at War’s End) MG07/12 were utilised by the Italian Forces in many ways. Whilst the majority were sent to AOI (Eastern Africa (Eritrea, Somalia and eventually Ethiopia,) along with the majority of the M95 rifles, for use by the native troops under Italian Command, a large number were also used as “Fortress Guns” in the Alpine Forts in the North West and North East Borders of Italy; and quite a number were used by the Royal Army in North Africa (AWM photos of Aussie captured Schwarzloses at Bardia (1941)).

Ammo was made by (as mentioned) SMI, BPD, Bologna, Possibly Martignoni, and by Hirtenberger (the “M.8 1937” cases.)
Cartridge clips were made by “LP” (“la Precisa”, a Radio manufacturer outside of Naples in the 1930s, which also made several ordnance related products (.22 RF Blanks, etc)…See the other thread on Mannlicher Clip markings here.

The 8x50R cartridge remained in Italian Service up to the Surrender of Italian Troops in North Africa(1943), and by isolated instances right up to April 1945, during the Civil War.

Quite a history for a cartridge that was Italy’s main opponent in the Great War
Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.