I came across a thin metal/sheet metal 2 piece 20 round box with the following stamped into the metal.
31 ELLIS ST.S.F.
This is stamped on front and back of box.
J.E.KLEIN is stamped on top of box
81 stamped on one end of bottom portion of box.
The metal 2 piece box has a cardboard divider for 20 rounds and the box had 18 45-85 Sharpshooter cartridges headstamped R F 4 81 and 2 rounds 45-85 sharpshooter cartridges headstamped R F 6 83. All 20 cartridges are in excellent condition.
I can only find 5 references to J.E. Klein, all from Google book search.
- 9-25-1884 J.E. Klein Lt. 1st. Inf. National Guard of California. Will compete on team for Pacific Scope Trophy at Carson City. From the Senate and Assembly Journal State of California 26th session 1885
- March 28th 1886? J.E. Klein competed at Shell Mound (SF bay area)from Outing magazine April 1886- Sept. 1886
- Shell Mound Park - California Rifle Ass. Lt. Klein and J.E. Klein both listed as competing. From Library of Harvard Unions 1884-1885
- One line excerpt from 8-24-1884. J.E> Klein 95 out of 100 at 200 and 500 yards.
- 1915 The Story of the Exposition of the International Celebration held at San Francisco in 1915 to commemorate the discovery of the pacific ocean and the construction of the Panama Canal.
I lists J.E. Klein as wining a Festival Goblet at eh International Shooting Festival held in conjunction with the Exposition.and the San Fransisco Shooting Festival Association.
Has anyone every seen a box like this?
Does anyone know anything about J.E. Klein and the target shooting circuit in the 1880- 1920 period on the west coast.