"J" Marking on UK 30mm ADEN case

What does the “J” marking on UK 30mm ADEN cases mean? Eg. on a case I have it is headstamped “J.30.MM.RG.77 354 CY 77 PRAC 4*Z”.

I would be grateful for an answer to this, I have never seen any indication of what it means.

It refers to the type of case. A,B.C and D (IIRC) were the short cased ADEN and E to I were previous versions of the long case. The differences are mainly to do with web thickness and wall dimensions, and it was the J case that became the production type.

Regards
TonyE

Cheers Tony, another one solved.

I looking at these cases, I also have another one marked “CY 380 62 HE TX 5 5Z” What does “TX 5” mean? Am I right about CY meaning that it was filled at ROF Chorley?

Yes, “CY” is Chorley. Not sure about the “TX 5” though. Will see what I can find.

regards
Tony

I have just checked the Aden drawings and TX 5 is the filling for the HE shell.

TX 5 is RDX/TNT/Al/Wax in 30/50/50/3% mix with 1.25% Max. carbon black.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks again, exactly what I needed.

Sorry, finger trouble on the mix. it should have been 30/50/20/3%.

I know that adds up to more than 100% but those are maximum percentages.

regards
TonyE

• @ Falcon & TonyE: I have a fired [inert] 30mm ADEN brass shell case with electric primer. On the shell case extractor groove is stamped: “J.30.M.M.R.G.61” [shell case manufacture data: “J” with caliber, Radway Green, 1961]. On the shell case belt is stamped: “CY 8 64 HE TX 5 5Z” [loading data, propellant, etc.]. Is the loading date 1964??? Is “HE” the projectile type??? —> I also have 4 steel links for the 30mm ADEN round, each marked like this: => a) “MK.1. R.G.” [British]; => b) “MFT” [probably Dutch ?]; => c) “30mm R1M2” [South Africa]; => d) “INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA WOBRON” with the letter “R” inside of a circle. Liviu 10/15/08

[quote=“TonyE”]Sorry, finger trouble on the mix. it should have been 30/50/20/3%.

I know that adds up to more than 100% but those are maximum percentages.

regards
TonyE[/quote]

with ref to the above, 18% Al is deamed to give best performance when used in such mixtures, it’s added to boost the performance of the TNT.

magpie

[quote=“magpie”]

with ref to the above, 18% Al is deamed to give best performance when used in such mixtures, it’s added to boost the performance of the TNT.

magpie[/quote]

Aluminium added to the explosive mix slows the explosion down but increases the volume of gasses produced to give much more “push”. It is especially used in demolition explosives, sea mines, torpedoes etc.

gravelbelly

Magpie: yes “64” is 1964.

Regards
TonyE

• @ TonyE: I asked the question, thank you. It means that my British made 30mm ADEN belted brass shell case was manufactured in 1961 and loaded only after 3 years in 1964. What about the mark “HE”, does it mean the projectile type??? As I mentioned above, I only have the fired brass case. Liviu 10/16/08

Liviu,

The markings in the extractor groove refer to the empty case and are rolled in at manufacture. The markings around the belt refer to the loading and are added when the case is loaded.

gravelbelly

• @ gravelbelly: Yes, I do know that. The only question which remains is about the mark “HE” [stamped on the shell case belt], does it show the type of 30mm projectile or not??? Liviu 10/16/08

Sorry Liviu.

Yes, HE (High Explosive) is the load, TX 5 is the shell filling and 5z is the Mark of the loaded round. CY (ROF Chorley) is the filling station and 8 64 is the Lot (month?) and year of filling.

Regards
TonyE

I think the first number must be the lot number, as my ADEN cases are marked “354 77” and “380 62”.