Jackpot! Just found all of them together. I need help with ID. Mauser ammo?

20170210_163019-1

20170210_162740-1

1. PS 1947 vIII
  2. PS star 4 48
  3. Z star 4 48
  4. PS star 5 48
  5. Z 1940 IV

You show Czechoslovak production from the years noted in the headstamps.
The cartridge caliber became called 7.92 mm in Czechoslovakia when it was adopted after WW1, but it is identical to the German 7.9 mm military rifle cartridge. So far I have found no documentation that barrel bores from Brno differed in dimensions from German dimensions. As a matter of fact, production started on machinery bought from Germany at the end of WW1.
The German 7.9 mm became known worldwide in connection with the Mauser rifle of 1898, but Mauser had nothing to do with the creation of the cartridge. The 7.9 mm was developed by Prussian military institutions in combination with the Gewehr 88 (often called commission rifle).

JPeelen: At some point in the early 1930s bore and groove dimensions for the 7.9 m/m military rifles being produced in Czechoslovakia were changed from the German standard. The early Czech barrels had lands narrower than the grooves, and I believe (but am not certain) the dimensions were consistent with German practice. Military rifle barrels in the 1930s (beginning date apparently about 1933) went to grooves and lands of equal (or near equal) width. Also at this time bore diameter was reduced to about .309 in. Not sure what the grooves were, but I assume on the order of .324-.325. Most rifles produced in Czechoslovakia for the German army down into 1942 are stamped with gaged bore diameter, and it reads 7.85 to about 7.88. An Erma 7.9 m/m Einstecklauf will not enter one of these barrels. Later barrels made for Germany follow German standards. Jack

Jack,
thank you very much for this interesting information. I do not at all doubt its possible correctness. But so far I have not been able to find any documentary evidence, particularly from the time before German invasion, when the Czechoslovaks made their own decisions. The Prague proof house, for example, does not see fit to even respond to repeated letters.

Nadav, did you by chance find these in a little skinny country on the eastern shore of the Mediterranean?
If so, they were most-likely part of the weapons and ammunition supplied by the Czechs to Israel, in 1947-48. They look very much like lots of the rounds and cases I picked up in the early stages of my collecting career, while living in the Afula/Megiddo area.

Indeed, I have found these in the beit-shean area. I thougt that the star was david star that may simbolize jewish production.

Well, we weren’t close neighbors, but not too far.
The stars were used by the Czechs to designate the copper content of the cases, I believe.

Prussian arsenals used positive unilateral tolerance of .05 mm on bore and groove, i.e. 7.9/7.95 and 8.20/8.25. Commercial producers used bilateral tolerance of plus/minus .03 mm. Thus the nominal bore designation became 7.92 mm, with allowable bore dimensions from 7.89 to 7.95 mm.