Japanese .30-06 "J-T E W58"

I hope 58 means 1958. Is it usual for Japan to date civilian ammo? This is a live soft nose hunting round.

And it is no repurposed / reused / modified cartridge?

1 Like

Probably came in a Santa Fe box

1 Like

I’ll add a photo under sunlight ASAP. It has no reloading markings/scratches.

I have the same cartridge in my collection only with headstamp J-TE W59.
No signs of reloading.
The Toyo Seiki Corp in Japan used this type of headstamp durend 1957-195930-06 J-TE W59 headstamp

1 Like

The J-T E headstamp originates from the Toyo Seiki Company.
The first headstamp with J-T E can be found with date 56.
After that they used W + year. I have up to 1959 in my collection.
These are the military headstamps. Sporting rounds have the headstamp
30-06 over TOYO or the other way around

The military brass was largely used by commercial reloaders in the US and can be found with a wide variety of bullets

2 Likes

Rene, so I understand correctly, this is an original Japanese military 1958 cartridge which was fired and then reloaded with a hunting projectile?

Vlad, I don’t know if these were fired cases or if at that point in time reloaders could buy unused brass from the factory and then load them with their own bullets.

1 Like

Thanks, I understand. Does replacing projectile alone leave scratches on the cartridge? They look pretty clean.

Reloading only leaves scratches on the case if the inside of the dies used have been scratched, which usually happens only if a dirty and gritty cartridge case is resized in it, rather than after a thorough cleaning.

As an example, a load made by an individual in his home on normal hobbyist reloading equipment, if properly done and using a brand new unprimed or primed cartridge case, can hardly be identified as none factory (unless, of course, it is obvious that particular factory that made the case never used the bullet that is used for loading it).

John Moss

1 Like