Japanese 5cm Boat Gun (47mm Hotchkiss) (47x131R) cartridge

Would appreciate any help to identify this oddball bottle neck round with a very long rotating band with several deeply rounded grooves (almost like they were made by fingertips)
Anchor stamped on projectile.
6/01 on base of case along with illegible Japanese(?) characters.

Info on weapon(s) that it was used in would also be appreciated.

John,

This round is Japanese, for the 5cm Boat Gun (47mm Hotchkiss Revolver Cannon) (47x131R). The case was made by the Elswick Ordnance Company in England, on contract for Japan, while the projectile is of Japanese manufacture (Kure Naval Arsenal). The rotating band is the standard Hotchkiss design of the period. Later projectiles had a much narrower copper rotating band, and will be found with cases of Japanese manufacture. The 5cm Boat Gun stayed in service with the Japanese Navy until the end of WWII. I’ve seen a case dated 5th month 20th year Showa (May 1945).

Jim

Jim- Thanks again!

I think that the French may have disassembled some of those guns to make lightweight single-barrel weapons for aircraft use. I have a photo of a WW1 Tellier flying boat with a 47mm Hotchkiss in the nose, but I’m not certain of the cartridge.

[quote=“Jim O’Brien”]John,

This round is Japanese, for the 5cm Boat Gun (47mm Hotchkiss Revolver Cannon) (47x131R). The case was made by the Elswick Ordnance Company in England, on contract for Japan, while the projectile is of Japanese manufacture (Kure Naval Arsenal). The rotating band is the standard Hotchkiss design of the period. Later projectiles had a much narrower copper rotating band, and will be found with cases of Japanese manufacture. The 5cm Boat Gun stayed in service with the Japanese Navy until the end of WWII. I’ve seen a case dated 5th month 20th year Showa (May 1945).

Jim[/quote]

Examples of these can be found with both brass and copper multi-groove rotating bands.

gravelbelly