Japanese 7.7x58SR ammo in rifle chargers?

The Japanese 7.7x58mm semi-rimmed cartridge is usually found on Hotchkiss type strips/trays for machine guns and is regarded as an MG round. However, some chargers (stripper clips) exist in this calibre. I have not yet found a full charger nor any packaging so the calibre is not certain. But these chargers are Japanese made, mine is marked with a Japanese ordnance stamp, and none of the other Japanese calibres fit. I have seen a few of these at cartridge shows, all labelled as for 7.7 SR. I have attached three photos, one of the outside, one of the inside and one filled with cartridges from a type 92 tray.

Note that these cartridges did not come with the charger but are included here to illustrate the fit in this charger.
My question is, what weapon used these chargers, was it a rifle? My GUESS is that Japanese Machine Gunners may have been issued with rifles in the same calibre as their MG’s as was the practice in other countries. Can anyone out there clarify this please?

gravelbelly

No, the 7.7x58sr was not used in any rifles.
Those stripper clips were used in the magazine feed system for a Japanese Aircraft MG.
DocAV could likely supply details that I can not at this time.
All my reference books are in storage.
Gregg

[quote=“Gregg”]No, the 7.7x58sr was not used in any rifles.
Those stripper clips were used in the magazine feed system for a Japanese Aircraft MG.
DocAV could likely supply details that I can not at this time.
All my reference books are in storage.
Gregg[/quote]

Hello Gregg,

Thanks for your response to my query. The only info that I have on a Japanese MG using chargers is for the Type 89 (1929) twin mounting. These guns have “fan” or “pie” shaped magazines with a series of steel chargers riveted to an articulated belt arrangement. Each magazine has 25 chargers for a total of 125 rounds. I have a short section of the articulated conveyor but the charger that I posted the query on is not the same. My brass one is like a scaled up Arisaka charger and has no rivet holes.
Do you have a different MG in mind which used rifle-type chargers, perhaps in a hopper?

gravelbelly

I think you are correct as to the Type 89 A/C MG.
The only hopper feed MG the Japanese used was the Type 11 LMG in 6,5x50sr, and it used standard rifle strippers.
Gregg