Japanese land mine training set WWII

So I am watching Pawn Stars on the History channel again, and once again they have a cool ordnance item which this time was a WWII Japanese mine training set. There were only 600 made according to the expert they brought in, and the set had everything except the type 97 grenade. The shop paid $800 for the set.

I just searched Gunbroker and found a listing that began an hour ago which I believe is the same exact set since it has the same damaged lid, and the missing grenade has been replaced with a similar grenade type like the one that should be there:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190904198

Anybody ever see these much?

DK

Have seen them available, off and on, over the years. I’d give about half that $800 value, maybe a little more depending on condition, blah, blah. Would love to be pawing over one right now. A nice ensemble of Axis ordnance.

Rick

I saw that on there the other night, also saw a guy bring in a rare grenade worth some big money on there and seems like another item of interest to this membership? Interesting auction, thanks for posting.

DK

Now, all of a sudden, there 2, count 'em TWO, examples available. Mr. Spangler now has a set for sale. And a nice one, at that. oldguns.net/catho.htm

Wow, it looks like the Pawn Stars guy paid too much in the shop at $800.00 (he must think he can resell it for at least $1,000 ?), especially since the type-97 grenade was missing! I wonder what connection he thought he might have who would pay more than $800.00? Some sort of militaria shopper, or Japanese collector perhaps? Usually the discriminating collectors know that places like Gunbroker, gun & ammo shows, ordnance & tank shows, or else just doing Google searches to find Spangler’s offering would be the thing to do to price shop. Oh well.

He gets bad gun advice on Pawn Stars once in awhile. I remember his “expert” telling him the loading gate on a Single Action Colt was mismatched because it didn’t match the serial number. They don’t - they match an assembly number stamped inside the frame ahead of the cylinder bolt sprint. You have to take off the trigger guard to know if its mismatched or not.

A guy brought in a Colt Musket, marked for the New Jersey Militia - a contract for them likely. Couldn’t figure out why it had no cartouches from the Federal Inspectors on the stock like most Colt muskets. Well, why would it have Federal inspector’s marks on it if it wasn’t sold to the Feds? He officered 1200.00 for it and the guy walked. The Italian replica of the Colt musket sells for almost that, and this original was about new condition. They said the stock was replaced - not likely! There have been other examples, including the US Ord Japanese mine kit. There he paid too much - probably about retail.

Trouble is, the guy wants to double or triple his money on everything. You have to do that in a store on inespensive items, because you have to make enough money to cover your display space, expenses, paper work to sell it, etc. On very expensive stuff, where you are talking profits of thousands of dollars even if sold at only a 20% profit, it isn’t necessary to double, and it makes making a fair offer impossible. Just my take after 36 years of doing the same thing he does.

John Moss

[quote=“DKConfiguration”]So I am watching Pawn Stars on the History channel again, and once again they have a cool ordnance item which this time was a WWII Japanese mine training set. There were only 600 made according to the expert they brought in, and the set had everything except the type 97 grenade. The shop paid $800 for the set.

I just searched Gunbroker and found a listing that began an hour ago which I believe is the same exact set since it has the same damaged lid, and the missing grenade has been replaced with a similar grenade type like the one that should be there:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190904198

Anybody ever see these much?[/quote]

IS THIS AMMUNITION ? I AM SHOCKED.

I had half a dozen of these in the past and had a hard time getting $50 each for them. Of course , this was before many of you were born.
Back in the good old days not many of us collected this junk. I even remember when sectioning was considered damage. A fellow offered me 3/4 of the price for a sectioned item as there was only 3/4 of it left . Good OLD DAYS !

I have not seen the #1 set. Has anyone ?