Japanese Shotshells

Hello Everybody
Here are some pictures of Japanese paper shotshells and their headstamps.

Also Three plastic ones I am not certain they are Japanese, could somebody please tell me?

If anybody has pictures of other PAPER Japanese shotshells I would be very interested in pictures.

regards Rene

Nice, how old are these?

I have no idea, but I think the TYK cases are the oldest and, again I think, are from the end of the 40’s or 50’s.
The NPK are the newest ones but I would say around 70’s.

Perhaps somebody can give more precise dates.

Regards rene

The ASAHI is Japanese, from the 1970’s or 80’s I believe. Saw these headstamps at a skeet event in Yokosuka Japan which had local participants in the late 70’s. Wish I had kept some of the hundreds of fired hulls but I did not think fired hulls had any value except to reloaders then.

Here are three more I had forgotten before.

Hello Shotmeister, indeed very sorry that you didn’t care about fired cases back then.
I would have loved to look in those bins those days.
Thanks for the info on the ASAHI. It looks like it was somekind of dummy round, according to that drilled primer.

PS the PUMA is dated 1965

regards rene

Some all paper and one with a brass head

Can anyone provide information on the cartridges from Pete - that is, company information on S. Arai
& Co., of Tokyo?

Only one word.
WOW!!

Beautifull, I knew they used to make all paper shells in Japan but never seen one.
Know I need to start searching for one.

Thanks for posting them.
Do you have any idea on how old these cases are??

Many thanks rene

Now, I will be the first to admit my general ignorance of shotshells. But, are those “all paper” cartridges really all paper? There appears to be a slightly raised diameter near the base which also shows as a darker “shadow” just about where I would expect the metal base to be. If so, are these paper covered over brass/steel? If so, they are still very unusual and interesting to me.

gravelbelly

Interesting that the Arai cases have everything in English, including the phrase “THE NIPPON CASE” (Nippon, pronounced nee-hon, means “JAPANESE”, as I recall) These were obviously made after WWII and obviously made for export, somewhere, yet Japanese products were not exactly prized during what I would expect to be the post-war years for paper shell production.

Dave they are all paper except for the cap chamber and cap. There is a typical inner paper reinforcement & that appears to be what you are seeing. They don’t feel swollen at that point but somehow that how they photographed, showing that ‘shadow’.

I agree with Shotmeister these are likely post-war, but I don’t know for sure.

John, sorry but I have no info on that company. Perhaps George K.?

From Rene’s posting, can anyone interpret the 4 Asian characters on the “12 12” case, and maybe tell us if the
cartridge is Japanese or Chinese?

Nice shells.
The third all paper shell from the left has something stamped on it that I cant quite read all of.
"xxxx DEPREDATION REPELLENTS"
What is the first word and what is the meaning?

Maybe some of these Japanese shells were produced for recreational use by US Military staff in Japan?

Matt–I can’t find my specimen of the cartridge you are asking about right now, but if I remember correctly, the first word is “FARM”. It is basically a bird scaring blank.

Thanks, that makes sense.

The blue unprimed plastic shotshell in the initial post is marked China The characters at 6 o’clock on the headstamp are China.
Japanese characters are derived from the Chinese many are still used in there original form and have similar meanings, the pronuciations are some times similar but the meanings different and modifications have taken place over the last 2K years. There are probably 10 written forms of Japanese and phonetic kanji, katagana and hiragana are used to make the Japanese language easier to use for the Japanese and to provide pronuniations of western names words that there is no Japanese equivelent. The very simplified katagana and hiragana kanji are few in number. The Chinese based Japanese kanji are numbered in the thousands.

Hello Sportclay,
So if I understand you correct, that 12 ga shell is of Chinese origin?

Many thanks for the info everybody,
And love to see more pictures ofcourse.

Rene

Yes.
The 2 characters in in Japanese kanji would translate to “chu kuni” meaning middle province. in Chinese hanzi it is “Zongguo=China”.

nationsonline.org/oneworld/c … hinese.htm

This is the only thing I could find quickly that will have a pic of the hanzi for China.
The top 2 I suspect will be a formal name or place. I am currently 650 miles away from my Japanese and Chinese dictionaries, harrassing the fish life on Hatteras Island. When I return I’ll translate all the kanji if you wish.

Hello Sportclay,
If in time you can find the meaning of the other kanji that would be great.
For now thank you very much.

Many regards rene

Time to reopen this old topic.
I found some new ones from Japan and would like to share them.
Perhaps somebody can help me with the older orange case.
How old is this one and what is the meaning of the headstamp?

many regards rené