Jelly Bean Rifle Bullet stop action photos

This is a neat photo of a rifle bullet going through a jar of jelly beans. it was the front cover of Paul Wahl’s Gun Catalog #1 38 years ago. Interesting how the bullet is already yawing badly.

1 Like

Ruined a perfectly good Gin & Tonic goblet

3 Likes

What, no concern about the perished jelly beans??? :yum:

2 Likes

Very probably one of Dr Harold Edgerton’s photos used to illustrate his new strobe / flash for stop action of movement. The classic is still the bullet through the apple.

1 Like

You’re right, Pete. And for those who might not remember the bullet through the apple, here it is.

Apple Bullet

1 Like

My Dad who was also a professional photographer got an early (I beleve) Honeywell strobe that used this flash system & we were dropping things into water to catch the cool splash in stop action, which was another photo he used to illustrate this amazing new strobe-flash light.

They have gotten better at shutter control!

1427623422_87bd29bece_o
1427624314_56c8e72b70_o
Artillery donut
Boolit splatter
bullet003
bullet005
daily_picdump_2563_640_52
daily_picdump_2835_640_36

Sorry i’ll stop now!

2 Likes

Well, it’s always nice when you get it yourself. Somewhere in the early eighties, I made such a device myself. It worked in a completely darkened room (the range of course), I put the shutter of the camera open and pulled the trigger. The sound of the gun triggered the flashlight on the camera with a microphone and yes, there was some nice result after development of the film.

1 Like

I think some of those you show are from single frames of a high speed camera, or a set-up like Dirk describes. Not one press of the shutter release at a precise moment.
Still great shots