JOURNAL #471 Corrections

eJOURNAL #471 is out and being read by hundreds, as I type. A good reason for you to join IAA.

#471 contains my article on US National Match Rifle Ammunition. Every writer is painfully aware of Murphy’s Law 72 which states that errors will be found on the day after a manuscript goes to the printer. I made a couple. Not big ones. Fortunately for me there are probably only 5 readers who will find them but, unfortunately, those 5 are Forum members and get the eJOURNAL. So, at the risk of making even more mistakes, here are the corrections.

All changes are on Page 8.

Left Column, Second Paragraph, Third Sentence - Change to: “All later lots bore only the MATCH headstamp, LC 68 MATCH to LC 82 MATCH, and can be found loaded with either IMR 4895 or WC 846.”

Right Column, First Paragraph, second Sentence - Change to: “ In 1981 the new cartridges were designated XM852, LC 81 NM, and in 1982 adopted as 7.62 MM MATCH M852, LC 82 NM and LC 83 NM and LC 85 MATCH to LC 96 MATCH.”

Right Column, Second Paragraph, Second Sentence - Change to: “The last lot was produced in 1982 but some remaining stocks with older headstamps were re-boxed with 1982 labels and lot numbers and issued for practice, and for match use when the new M852 was not available.”

Ray

Ray - thanks for the corrections. I was just going to start a posting on the new Journal, but thought I would use your posting instead. Just got mine, and as usual, it is great. Three really in-depth articles.

Ray Mekata is rapidly becoming a keystone author for the IAA Journal. We all know the fabulous amount of excellent, in-depth information he provides on the Forum, but those are just quickie reviews compared to his many articles in IAA Journals. Those who are not IAA Members (come on, guys - 25 bucks for the all-color, quick to arrive Digital Journal. That’s dinner for two at Doggie Diner!) are really missing stuff just from his articles, not to mention all the others.

Ray, thanks for all your contributions. Fabulous stuff, always. As far as Murphy’s law and errors go, we all go through it. I make almost daily changes to my book manuscript as I find little errors, contorted sentences, and get new information. One day, I have to shut it off and send it to the publisher.

Great articles this time on the Lowell Ordnance Plant and THE definitive article on the Cartridges for the Devisme Revolver. Great stuff.

Chris Punnett - we all wish you a Happy New Year and keep up the great work putting this Journal together.

Ray - keep those articles coming! Wonderful stuff.

John Moss

John

Thanks for those kind words. Like you, I write for the enjoyment of sharing my limited knowledge but a little encouragement from others sure does help. That and the royalty checks from Chris P.;)

My contribution is piddling compared with the likes of Lew Curtis, Frank Hackley, George Kass, and John Moss. And Chris P. who keeps his cool, always understanding, never cussing our mistakes, and somehow managing one great issue after another.

It should be a Happy New Year.

Ray

Well, even if I’ll never lay my grubby mitts on any match cartridges from Frankfort or Lake city I like to read about them, so the membership is now applied for. -With e-journal-
Happy new year to all of you.
Soren

Soren,

You won’t regret it, I promise. Thank you for joining. Its great to welcome a member from Denmark.

John Moss

Soren

Welcome to IAA.

If you send me a mail address and tell me what Denmark postal regulations I have to be aware of, I’ll send you a few good examples of Match cartridges for your collection. Who knows, it may make you thirsty for more.

Ray

Yep, all authors go through that; it’s inevitable.

The worst case is just to keep putting off submitting that manuscript for years or even decades (it does happen). There’s the risk of all that work being lost if nature takes its course.

That’s even more frustrating than the case of those individuals with extensive knowledge who never write any of it down.

John - You may send it to the publisher but you never shut it off. I have research articles that I wrote in the 1980s and I still find stuff that I’d like to correct.

ray

deleted

The great Jorge Luis Borges once wrote “Publico para dejar de corregir”, which means I publish to stop making corrections.

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Soren
Welcome to IAA.
If you send me a mail address and tell me what Denmark postal regulations I have to be aware of, I’ll send you a few good examples of Match cartridges for your collection. Who knows, it may make you thirsty for more.
Ray[/quote]You have PM :-)
Soren

Fred

I’ve found that to be a great cover-up for life in general.

[i]“I made the misteak on purpose to see if anyone was paying attention.”

“I meant for it to turn out that way.”[/i]

The wife no longer falls for it, but cartridge collectors and accumulators aren’t as smart as her.

ray

Somewhat OT but it might be of interest: the Ordnance Survey, the premier map-makers whose work is the basis of just about all detailed maps of the UK, include some imaginary streets so that if they turn up in someone else’s maps they’ll know they’ve been copied from them…