Just for fun

Finally got to go out and do some shooting last weekend. Here are some pics.

Powder can filled with water hit by a .17HMR at about 75 yards.

Beer cans hit at same range…RIP

3/4 Inch steel plate hit at 75 yards with 7.62x52 light ball, Heavy ball, 7.92x57 Ball and one 7.92x57 AP which had no problem penetrating

Exit of the AP round

Steve

What kind of beer was it?

Hunting them thar pesky powder cans is a dangerous sport, but once shot and de boned they fry up well with onions and garlic, with a side order of chips (or Fries as you Colonials call them) ;)

@sksvlad, don’t know what beer it was but he disliked it enough to shoot it ;)

Looks like Bud Light. "nuf said.

Rick,

I’m a little disappointed with your malt beverage forensic skills. The very opened cans are one of the varieties of “Milwaukee’s Best”, a product of Miller Brewing.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Dave

Dave IS CORRECT!!! Lets have 5 seconds of silence for their [ the cans] unwavering service…above and beyond the call of duty…

Steve

What country and era of ap 7.92x57 was it? The performance at that range is better than I would have expected for a rifle calibre round.

DaveE

I really stepped out of my (Southern) comfort zone and took a WAG on the cans. Like the song says: . . . .beer for my horses. . . .

Well, American beer has more to do with ammunition than most people know.

DWM’s one-time manager baron Paul von Gontard was married to Clara Busch, daughter of one of the founders of the Anheuser-Busch company.

The von Gontards have been playing with American breweries since the late 1920s when he was chucked out of DWM in 1929.

Falcon,

WW II German, kind of surprised me too, I will list the h/s tonight. I have some 30-06 that I would like to try on the same plate.

Steve

Falcon, Steve, nothing special about the perfomance of this 7.9mm.

Do you have any WW2 British .303 AP (and of course something to fire it with)? I would like to see what that performs like against steel plate.

I agree with EOD. Most rifle calibre AP bullets should cope with unarmoured 3/4" plate at 75 yards.

Falcon - Spec. on .303" AP W Mark I was 70% should penetrate 10mm armoured plate at 100 yards normal angle of attack, so again 3/4" (19mm) of unarmoured plate at 75 yards should not be a problem.

Regards
TonyE

I’ll give helpdesk a call on monday and tell them I have a problem with my harddrive

[quote=“Flying Dutchman”]I’ll give helpdesk a call on monday and tell them I have a problem with my harddrive

[/quote]

I think I can see your problem…that’ll be $100 please ;)

Falcon,

I have 303 AP ammo but alas no weapon to fire it from. Had one some years ago and sold it, now I wish I had not.

Flying Dutchman, It seems you didn’t follow the sales mans advice, and purchase the amour plated “HARD” drive! LOL

Steve

Flying Dutchman: have you tried rebooting :)

[quote=“stevef”]Falcon,

WW II German, kind of surprised me too, I will list the h/s tonight. I have some 30-06 that I would like to try on the same plate.

Steve[/quote]

I think the WW2 era German rifle ammunition had a particularly meaty steel jacket which may well go a long way to explaining the performance you saw.

Actually, seeing the way those beer cans blew up does not suprise me. That beer has much the same effect on me.

Flying Dutchman, what calibre did you shoot the hard drive with?

Hey two_az, I tried reshooting, but it didn’t work

Falcon,
the first one was a 357 Magnum, but with one of my target loads.
Bullet was a lead, copper plated bullet.
The second one was with a 9MM with a 115 grain jacketed hollow point from Magtech.

cheers
Ren