Just starting with cartridge collecting. Interested in seeing some of your guys' favorite or rarest cartridges!

Hi all. I collect WW1 militaria and have recently been getting interested in cartridge collecting as well. I only have some old .30-06 (all FA 18), but thats about all I have. I wanted to see some of your guys’ collections, especially anything rare or that is your favorite. Thanks all!

-Seth Moore

2 Likes

Here are two of my favorites.

An original 8mm Murata on the left, and on the right, a Russian headstamped 7.62x54R case reworked and reheadstamped as an 8mm Japanese Murata…the case having been “captured” during the Russo-Japanese War. It has both raised Russian and impressed Japanese headstamps.

For the second, follow the link and right click “View Image”. Hopefully you will see a beautiful Basque 9mm Largo round, made in Barcelona during the Spanish Civil War for only a few months.

1 Like

Wow, that is really cool!! I would have never guessed something like that would work. Would it be fire-formed to the Murata chamber?

I like British ammunition & the .500 3" B.P.E .round is a favorite, so here is a headstamp photo of one.
purdey py copy

Bought out of curiosity…and a nice surprise!

7 x57 Mauser, Čaurnica, Kragujevac, Kingdom of Serbia

4 Likes

Interesting round. Is this an anti-tank type cartridge?

Very cool!!! That has to be rare. Awesome stuff so far guys :)

British black powder sporting Africa or India hunts. The equivalent would have been a similar size case for buffalo hunters here in the US

1 Like

I don’t bother with the pointy things, it’s the bent tin they need to be useful that interest me … I found this little gem at the last German ECRA International meeting when I was wandering about thinking that I’d seen everything. My eye caught this and when I asked the lady at the table “How much ?” a high, but not totally unreasonable price was given … at which point a gentleman behind the same table, and bless you sir, turned round from dealing with someone else, and corrected her with a figure of half as much …

… it was still a lot of Euros but I handed over the cash in great haste and rapidly made my escape as it’s a charger for the Italian Balilla “student” carbine and in 20 years of collecting I’ve never seen another like it.

Right place, right time, knowing what it was and with cash in my little hot hand … sometimes something is meant to be.

Pete

4 Likes

Wow, I have a few favorites, so many to list! But here’s a couple I’m very proud of. One is a full WW1 bandoleer with all matching headstamps, USCCo 1918 (with stars), matching load card, matching bandoleer. Even has 2 out of the original 6 cardboard inserts. None of the brass clips have broken tabs either.

image image image

The other one is a Chinese tin of 7.62x39 dated 1957 with both Chinese and Cyrillic script on it. Only one I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Neato piece! If I saw that I would’ve just shrugged it off as a late WW2 or surplus production piece!

Very cool. I especially love the full bandoleer. I’ve seen some for sale before but never in any that good of shape!

Yeah, the 1918 bandoleer is neat. About 20 years ago I got a full crate (less 1 bandoleer) of Winchester 1918 dated M1906 Ball. Ammo was all grungy from bad primers, but bandoleers still looked good.

I still have a full WW1 era crate of .30 Ball somewhere that is the long box, not the M1917 crate, about 8" x 8" x 36" (from memory) and I think it is still sealed, so not sure if it is cartons or bandoleers. Guess I should dig that out next time I stumble across it.

I do have a fondness for U.S. ammo crates, Civil War thru 1970s. Therapy would probably help.

2 Likes

Yea I would feel comfortable about putting every round through my rifle too. Every round looks great. I paid 22 dollars for it at an estate sale. Picked up some full WW2 bandos too for 18 bucks a piece. I couldn’t believe how lucky I was. I saw a couple months ago that a WW1 bandoleer, empty with only two cardboard inserts sold for 115 bucks… again, empty! Crazy…

John, see you in the next AA meeting ;-)

1 Like

This is my “rarest”. It is the only one made for William Halford https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Halford. Here is a link to an old topic and pictures US Navy 37x137mmR Heavy 1 pounder projectile for W.Halford.
Here is his grave on what used to be Mare Island Magazine (a US Naval installation) in San Francisco Bay area https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9581783/william-halford

1 Like

Hi Vlad that is really neat.

I have this somewhat similar piece and would like to know if this was a common practice to create at the time. And if others are known for other servicemen or for this Col.?

It’s a .45-70 with a plain rounded head and the primer pocket has been very nicely fitted with a sliver plated brass loop.
Not in the best of condition it has:
In memory of
Col. A. C. Wellington
1st REGT. M.V.M.
Sept. 23rd 1888
hand engraved on the silver plated brass case.

OK just for giggles I googled his name & he has a march named after him
https://library.princeton.edu/col-wellingtons-march

Apparently he was part of General Sheridan’s Veterans and is mentioned in Civil War Legacy in the Shenandoah: Remembrance, Reunion and Reconciliation
By Jonathan A. Noyalas

2 Likes

One of my favorites, I have it listed as a .45 Grenade Booster. I have no other info on it, just really think the headstamp is neat.

6 Likes

Awesome!
What is the parent case?

Alex & IHMSA80x80 it is a ca. 1952-1953 No. 83 Grenade detonator. For use in the initiation a Canadian smoke generator to screen activity from the enemy, these were made on contract by the T.W. Hand Fireworks Co. Ltd. The mouth originally had a black colored sealant.

I don’t know the parent case so sorry no help there.

I love cartridge collecting because there are so many cartridge sizes. Some are very common but others are hard to find. But even the uncommon rounds can be bought for a reasonable price. Some people do not have the slightest idea that there are so many. Here are a few different 9mm cartridges. If I can figure out how to post the picture link.

[img]http://www.fototime.com/9BD42EE6BC56F09/standard.jpg