"K" Headstamp IDs?

The cartridge on the left is an 8x59RB Breda that supposedly came out of Spain (CNCS, brass case, copper primer). I have been told it is and is not Kynoch. Can anyone positively ID its origin?
Cartridge on the right is a 7.62x54R (CN, brass case and primer). Can anyone ID its origin?

[quote=“Jon C.”]The cartridge on the left is an 8x59RB Breda that supposedly came out of Spain (CNCS, brass case, copper primer). I have been told it is and is not Kynoch. Can anyone positively ID its origin?
Cartridge on the right is a 7.62x54R (CN, brass case and primer). Can anyone ID its origin?

[/quote]
Hi Jon. The 7.62 X 54R; the K could be the Soviet year code for 1956 and, the 9 could be the factory code (as per Ian Hogg) M. Rea

I tried that, Mora, but the date would be 1956 and the Soviets did not produce the 54R in that mannner anymore. Also, ther is no known Factory #9.

If these rounds came out of Spain, they were probably made for the Spanish Civil War of the last part of the 1930s, which turned into an International conflict fought on Spanish soil. Many different countries were involved, with both sides, politically, with volunteer soldiers, or with arms and ammunition and other war materiel. Much of the ammunition has clandestine headstamping.

The Breda’ head is very reminiscent of a 9mm Para that was thought to be from Kynoch until someone pulled a bullet on one and found the powder to be German type and the bullet to have a standard DWM, Germany, base marking. There are a couple of known “dates” (in quotes, because the dates, even though of the 1930s, could be false), but one of them has a flat copper primer cup much like the Breda (of course, a totally different size primer in a 9mm) and the “K” is somewhat the same. The rub is, that I have never heard of any production of the Breda cartridge by DWM, although what I don’t know about military rifle and machinegun cartridges would fill many volumes of books.

I guess the only point I’m making is that the headstamps don’t necessarily mean anything to anyone other than the factory that made them, if they were for the Spanish Civil War. Some of those headsamps have been “found out” and many have not.

Plenty to think about, John.
Just to clarify, the 8mm Breda was reported to be ex-Spain, the 7.62x54R has origins totally unknown to me.

[quote=“Jon C.”]Plenty to think about, John.
Just to clarify, the 8mm Breda was reported to be ex-Spain, the 7.62x54R has origins totally unknown to me.[/quote]

I haven’t heard of a Kynoch 8 Breda being used in Spain either. 8 mm Breda ammo is known to have been manufactured in Spain. It was used in tank and aircraft machine guns, both sold by Italy during the spanish civil war.

I have an AP specimen, GM bullet jacket, green tip, hstp: (P S 1942).

I’m happy to see that the pics were saved by Mora…thanks old friend. I guess Teak let all the pics he posted for me go by the wayside.

I do hope to positively ID these two rounds someday.