Kal 6.35mm Beschuss-Patronen

This box came with 25 DWM headstamped rounds.
copper primer/cn fmj.
Are proof rounds ever unmarked or are these incorrect for the box?
How should a 1930’s 6.35mm cartridge be marked?

Kal 6.35mm Beschuss Kal 6.35mm Beschuss a Kal 6.35mm Beschuss d Kal 6.35mm Beschuss c

I have and have seen boxes of Casses WWI boxes marked Beschuss but the cartridges are unmarked. When disassembled they contain a larger powder load than contemporary Cassel 9mm P08 loads.

I do have the box below with a commercial label, but the rounds in it have a green base and are headstamped asb St 25 41.

Since the green base is a military code I am not surprised that it doesn’t occur on your 6.35mm cartridges.

Lew

Bob - Depending on when and for whom, the Germans have used various methods of identifying proof marks:

Box Label only, or in combination with some special cartridge marking
Green base
Knurled rim
knurled cannelure around lower portion of case
Black seals where the normal ball equivalents have red seals

Some of these are post-WWII markings.

I have the identical box to yours, including the “red with black stripe” original box color and label, except in 7.65 mm Browning. They have none of the special markings on the cartridges that one normally associates with German proof loads. However, they do have copper primer cups, which are not the norm for 7.65 mm Browning Cartridges made by DWM.

Further, while my box is marked as production at Detusche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken AG, the cartridges are all headstamped B DWM B 479A for the Berlin-Borsigwalde factory. It is possible that the cases came from there, and were loaded into proof loads at Karsruhe, but that is simply conjecture on my part. I firmly believe that whatever the answer is, they are original to the box.

Since DWM had both firearms and ammunition manufacturing facilities, it is likely that, given the size of the company, they had their own proof house, in which case proof cartridges made by them for internal use, as long as well-labeled as such on the box, might likely not have had any special cartridge markings, especially on what are likely commercial proof loads. Again, conjecture on my part.

John Moss