Kansas City Brass & Metal Company WW1 10.4mm Vetterli Headstamp Bunter & Partial Drawset

In the past year a new member of the Kansas Cartridge Collectors Association gave a historical treasure to another member of the KCCA so it could be brought to light and displayed. The treasure/collection consists of a headstamp bunter, partial draw set and bullet for the 10.4 Vetterli cartridge produced by the Kansas City Brass & Metal (Manufacturing) Company during WW1. All the items were affixed to 3x5 inch note cards many many years ago by the father in-law of the new KCCA member. How and when these items were obtained by the father in-law (who lived in Kansas City) is unknown but all indications are it happened many decades ago.

Each card prepared by the father in-law has a typed description for the item attached to the card.

Below are a series of photos showing the collection:

Several photos of the headstamp bunter (for a raised headstamp), dated (19)17.

Items on the 3x5" cards.

This collection was on display at the recent KCCA cartridge show.

I have to admit it was quite a thrill to hold and photograph such historical items!

Brian

Previous thread concerning Kansas City Brass & Metal 10.4 Vetterli cartridge:

4 Likes

The KCB order, via Britain, was for Vetterli ammo to go with the large quantity of VV rifles given/sold by Italy in 1916 to Tsarist Russia.
This 1917 order arrived in Britain after the February 17 Kerensky Revolution, and delayed in shipment to Russia until the “October” Revolution of The Bolsheviks.
The shipment sat on the Docks in Britain, and after 1918, it was ordered to be disposed of as scrap.
Some was broken up for the brass and lead, and a lot was simply dumped in the North Sea.
About 43 Million Rounds!
Naturally the 100,000 or so VV rifles did end up in Russian Hands ( some had gone via Russia to Romania in late 1916).
Final fate of the VV was shipment
to Republicans in 1936 SCW, with what little ammo was left.
Doc AV

1 Like

Brian, great items, thanks for posting.

In a document held at Kew, the British National archive, the ultimate owners of the Kansas Brass & Metal Manufacturing Co ask the British Government, through their New York purchasing agency at JP Morgan Bank not to levy penalties for non-performance on their contract to supply 100 million Vetterli cartridges as “the company was set up for the sole purpose of manufacturing and supplying these cartridges” and to levy penalties would force the company into liquidation without them being able to settle their accounts with their trade suppliers.

Here are some earlier documents about the supply of cartridges;

Peter

Great documents Peter, thanks for sharing.

Peter,

Wonderful documents!

Especially considering finding information on Kansas City Brass & Metal has been difficult.

Should you discover anymore information please post here.

Thank you very much,

Brian

I was busy sorting my files and papers before I moved house last year, since then everything is either still in storage or in the chaos of the house I bought … a “project” where the only room currently with all its floorboards is the kitchen … so finding things is a bit of a gamble. Here though is the earliest mention I found in the files at Kew of the Kansas City Brass & Metal Co. where it mentions that Kansas wasn’t an entirely new concern but that it had sprung either from, or around an existing business.

Peter

Peter,

Another GREAT document!!!I

WOW, I have never heard of the Sportsmens International Cartridge Company located in Kansas City, Missouri until now.

Hopefully I can spend time over next few months in the Kansas City Library and go through old business records.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! And should you find anymore documents, time permitting, PLEASE share them with us.

Brian

Brian,

The Sportsman International Cartridge Company was a loader of shotgun shells. A box of such is pictured in the book (page 71) “The Encyclopedia of Shotgun Shell Boxes”, by Ted and David Bacyk.

Sorry that I wasn’t able to enclosed the pic.

Jim Eichas

1 Like

Brian,

My pleasure, there are lots of papers I’ve still to sort through, let alone skim read. I knew that I’d be moving at some point and only had a day available to visit Kew every once in a while … I tried not to miss a visit as you’re only allowed to draw 21 documents each day from the archive.

Over the course of about 3 years I copied over 8,000 pages for myself … not all ammunition related, a lot were on the early use of wireless telegraphy … as well as a few thousand done for other people, word soon got around that I was visiting and requests followed … a highly esteemed contributor hereabouts got about 800 pages on early VT fuze development, one of the many things I know nothing about, so I just copied everything there was.

I’ll go delving when I find the right packing case and in the meantime, happy hunting in your own document mining !

Peter

1 Like

Off topic: for someone used to the antediluvian service methods at German archives, the level of service at Kew is simply mind blowing.