Kent State shooting

Today is the 40th anniversary of this event. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings
I assume National Guard’s armament was M1 Garand, but what cartridge, .30-06 or .308?

The Kent State incident forced the National Guard to re-examine its methods of crowd control. The only equipment the Guardsmen had to disperse demonstrators that day were M1 Garand rifles loaded with .30-06 FMJ ammunition, 12 Ga. pump shotguns, and bayonets, and CS gas grenades.
Per the link you posted.

For what it’s worth, I go to Kent State. They had some kind of vigil or something today. They usually have a half day of school too and cancel all afternoon/evening classes.

Interesting how events can have such impact. During research for my Gyrojet book, I had a conversation with Alan Canfora, who was shot through the wrist by a National Guardsman using an M1 loaded with .30-06 ball ammunition. Canfora’s wrist is OK now, and he was very interested in learning that the shootings had a tremendous impact on Robert Mainhardt, co-founder of MBA, who became determined to develop a less-lethal option for the Army to use in situations like Kent State.

This led to the development of the 40mm Stun-Bag cartridge that could be fired from the M-79 with no modifications and later, to an entire line of less-lethal 40mm, 37mm, 12-gauge, and .38/.357 ammunition and devices that are of interest to cartridge collectors.

Canfora seemed pleased that someting good came from the disaster, and wished that he had been hit with a “bean-bag” instead of a .30-caliber bullet.

“They had some kind of vigil or something today.” :-)

I was 17.

Mel’s connection and story are one of the best I’ve heard. Wow!.

They have this memorial there with 58,175 daffodils to symbolize those U.S. servicemen and servicewomen who lost their lives in the Vietnam War.

And maybe even a bigger reminder; there is a sculpture outside one of the buildings that’s still scarred from a bullet that was fired by National Guardsmen.

I wonder with who got stuck with counting the daffodils.

Mel is right on (I second his comments)…about 1/2 of my collection…the “less lethal” portion (less the tear gas) was born out of that disaster…and Mel provided the MBA documentation of how the events at KSU catalyzed the MBA bean bag and it’s generations trials and re-designs (by many other than just MBA)

(now that I have a son on a college campus…I could not imagine…)

“Those who don’t know history are destined to repeat it.”
or…(“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”)

Pepper