Korean Translation?

Any members here know someone who might be able to translate an archaic form of Korean? It’s on a document from the early 1950s and current Korean speakers up to the age of 70 have been unable to translate it. I can email a scan if necessary.
TIA

send it to me

PM me an email address.

I wonder if it is Jeju? There are fewer than 10,000 speakers of that Korean dialect, found only on the southern island province of Jeju. Apparently the two dialects are considered almost separate languages due to the unintelligibility of Jeju to most average Koreans on the mainland. To western eyes however, the writing looks essentially the same on paper.

I couldn’t say. I have sent the captioned pic out to a few members, perhaps some info will be forth-coming.

Matt, you might actually be close. It has been confirmed to me that my information is in an older form of Korean that used some Chinese characters. It does seem odd, however, that a piece of military intelligence would be in an obscure language form.

Jeju is an interesting possibility. Is your document North or South Korean? I am wondering if this could explain the markings on the Pusan Iron Works M1911’s made by South Korea during the Korean War. As I understand it they have been translated(?) but it remains unintelligible to native Korean speakers. Regarding the rationale of using an obscure dialect, possibility used as a light form of encryption?

Ken, PM me an email address and I’ll send the scan to you.

Ken - what is the documentation of any M1911s produced in
North Korea during the Korean War? All of the US Army reports
of which I am aware indicate that the only small arms factory
discovered there, before the CCF Intervention 1950/51, was a plant
maiing an NK clone of the Russian PPSh 41 SMG.

M1911s of Vietnamese manufacture are known, along with copies
made in China. Have never before seen any reference to one made
in North Korea, or at least none that I can recall.

John Moss

Pusan is in South Korea if I’m remembering correctly. I remember seeing a Forgotten Weapons episode on a 1911 clone manufactured by Pusan Iron Works

Strelok,

You are absolutely correct. In fact, after the attack on South Korea
in 1950, the Pusan Perimeter was about the last hold out for UN forces,
until they were able to turn the tide of battle around and push
the North Korean Army not only back to the 38th Parallel, but basically
occupying North Korea right to the Yalu river. The CCF Intervention of
1950/51 pushed the UN forces back out of the North.

I was not thinking, just responding to mention of North Korea making
M1911s at Pusan, which never happened. It is not impossible that
the ROK made some in Pusan. I am not aware of them, but without
doing a little research, I certainly would not say they did not (or did,
for that matter). Thanks for waking me up.

John M.

John, if my history is correct, the surrounding and break-out from the Pusan Perimeter preceded the Red Chinese intervention by a good chunk of time. The Break-Out and the Inchon Landings led to MacArthur’s ill-advised advance on the Yalu, which precipitated the Chinese “Volunteers’” attack from the North.

Jon - you, too, are absolute correct. Not long after the Korean
in early 1960, I was privileged as a U.S. Army Reservist to attend
a group of seminars on the Korean War, not to mention having
studied it in school, starting about 5th grade. Well, guess it was
just too long ago. I am getting it all confused. I am editing my above remarks
considerably.
I wish I still had my hand-outs from the classes, and some other material
I had on the “police action” in Korea. Somewhere along the line, I guess I
discarded them.

John M.

You are entirely correct, Pusan is south, Musan is north, my mistake. I should have fact checked before posting.

JohnMoss,

You are correct in my head I confused Musan in the north with Pusan in the south. The Pusan M1911’s are largely made of Korean mfg. parts made on very basic machine tools, and all know examples have some US made parts in them. I apologize for the mistake and thank you for your correction, I have edited my previous comment to fix the mistake.