KYNOCH 7.92 with 3 knurls on projectile

Special Tracer? Magnetic only form 2/3 projectile down. Primer annulus looks purple to me under natural light but it is definitely not a BALL round in my opinion.
Joe

I have the exact same round, plus two with green tip colors, however those both show green annulus color. Those are also both 61 dates, and all three react to a magnet the same as you note having a magnetic core. One of the green examples has the addition of a nicely made small (about 1/8" dia.) green paint dot just below the tip color on only one side of the bullet. As green denotes AP my thoughts are that these are all AP.
But I could be wrong, as 7.9’s are not my strong suit.

Thanks for the insight Pete. Possibly a AP. Mk 2z.

Joe

I’m not aware of Kynoch ever having a facility for producing steel jackets, and most certainly not by that late date, so if its magnetic its got to be the core. or a bought in bullet.

Others may know better but I am not aware of knurls being used as an identifier in UK. so the purpose would have most likely to be practical. I can see that happening with a steel core.

The question now is who was it made for?

Kynoch certainly did have the capacity to make steel jacketed ammunition, both CNCS and GMCS, and did so frequently.

The round in question is an experimental AP, one of a series of similar rounds made in the period 1957-1960. I have this one, API (one bullet cannelure) and tracer (two cannelures).

Kynoch were trying to drum up overseas contract business. For example, Kuwait ordered API, Tracer, AP and Ball in 1959, New Zealand ordered Ball, Tracer and AP in 1960, Libya ordered Ball and Tracer in BESA belts in 1961 as did Aden and Quater. Those are just from a quick trawl through their military orders at that time.

Regards
TonyE

Tony, thank you for the information.

Vince, the one I have is a GM jacket.

Tony, do you know of a possible designation for the round I have. Such as MK 2Z perhaps?

Gene Scrantons Color codes states

Great Britain AP 1957-61 GM jacket.

Headstamped: K57 7.92, K59 7.92mm, K61 7.92

Quote: the purple primer annulus on the 1957 dated round probably indicates an experimental loading. Rounds without the British military code letter “W” and mark number on the headstamp are for export sales.

[quote=“TonyG”]Gene Scrantons Color codes states

Great Britain AP 1957-61 GM jacket.

Headstamped: K57 7.92, K59 7.92mm, K61 7.92

Quote: the purple primer annulus on the 1957 dated round probably indicates an experimental loading. Rounds without the British military code letter “W” and mark number on the headstamp are for export sales.[/quote]
Tony, excellent information. Thank you. Is this a written publication or available on the net?

Joe

I bought this as a loose leaf publication, in two large ring binders at a cartridge show here in New Zealand, A Google search may get you the goodies required.
Cheers Tony

I am also the proud owner of one of these rounds, green tip, H/S K61 7.92, green primer annulus

Tony, what are the laws like briefly in New Zealand regarding collecting cartridges?

I have a ‘Category A firearms licence’ I can own sporting type firearms(rifles & shotguns) & military type semi automatic rifles that been altered (no more than 5? shot magazine, bayonets/ bayonet lugs removed, pistol grips removed & some other minor changes) to meet ‘A’ cat rules. ‘A’ cat licence also allows me to purchase ammunition, as for as I’m aware there is no limit on quanitiy of cartridges.

Thanks for the info Tony. Do you have restrictions on the types of ammo and also can you own a handgun?

Joe

No, it is not a WIIz. It is Kynoch’s own design of AP, (although it is not that different from the WIIz )

I have the drawing somewhere and will look it out tomorrow.

Regards
Tonye

Thanks for the info Tony. Do you have restrictions on the types of ammo and also can you own a handgun?

Joe[/quote]
As far as I’m aware I can collect/own any type of ammuntion.
To own a handgun, I require a ‘B’ cat licence

No, it is not a WIIz. It is Kynoch’s own design of AP, (although it is not that different from the WIIz )

I have the drawing somewhere and will look it out tomorrow.

Regards
Tonye[/quote]
Tony,

Did you ever locate the drawing and the proper designation?

Joe