L2A1 .50 BMG drill round variant?

Picked up a few of these .50" BMG drill rounds the other day which are identical to the ones in TonyEs site apart from from only having two circumferential body grooves (Tony’s example has three) https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/-50-inch-browning/-50-inch-browning-drill-and-inspection
Does anyone have any information as to why my examples only has the two gooves? different L No for them ect?

Tony

Tony, as I saw them being used outside the UK I assume they might be for export.

Thanks EoD, could well be, even though I picked them up on a English Anti Tank range numerous other countries do use our training area

Hi Tony,

It is the drill cartridge marketed by Nammo.

Regards,

Fede

Thanks Fede.

Atb
Tony

Tony, just an observation, but the pattern of your .50 Cal drill is very similar to those supplied by System Design Evaluation (SDE) Ltd of Hertfordshire, England in other calibres. I believe the British Army Issue in 5.56mm is L14A1 & in 7.62mm is the L41A1. These cartridges appear to be heavily chromed brass / phosphor bronze bodies, with a wide hole in the head. Most of the calibres have two grooved channels turned into the body. Pete.

Can you identify the dummy cartridges pictured above, for us? I, personally, am interested to know if the pistol dummy round on the far left is .380 auto (9 mm Browning Short) or 9 x 18 mm Makarov?

Do any of these dummy rounds ever become available to the civilian market?

John Moss

Musky,

Can you provide a proper ID for each of the SDE drill/dummy rounds shown in your photos? (that makes 2 of us asking the same question)

Also can anyone provide a list or web link for the drill/dummy rounds produced by SDE?

Thanks,

Brian

Left to right is .380 Auto, 9mmx19, .38 Special, 5.56mmx45, .243, & 7.62x51, Pete.

Muskey, are these just samples made for exhibition or are these in actual use by a military or LE?

Alex, they were all produced for operational use, a variety of military & law enforcement.

The Nammo series is very similar. From left to right: 12.7x99, 7.62x51, 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 4.6x30, and 9x19.

67-1

For info, here’s an image of the SDE 5.56mm L14A1 box label from “The Development of 5.56mmx45 Ammunition in Britain 1966-1997” by the late Peter Labbett.

Fede!!!
7.62x39!
You are killing me!

Thank you all of you for information, I must admit I have been thinking along the same lines as Muskey.
I do have the 7.62 Nato and the 5.56mm, L41A1 & L14A1 and when they are together they do ‘follow’ the same pattern with the two body grooves…I’m now wondering if the example shown on TonyE’s site(with three grooves) could be a export example instead of a ‘British service’ one,also,to me, it seems a bit ‘odd’ that it has a early L2A1 number as we had a ‘jump’ to double didget L numbers for some reason on all our ‘later’ small arms ammunition?

Atb
Tony

I think I’ve just answerd one of my questions, it would seem that the ‘two grooved’ example is the British service .50" Drill round…no L number yet but just discribed as ‘Drill round .50 inch (one piece)’(April 2006 document) …I really must spend some time reading the disc!!! :(

hmmmm, what is this disc you speak of Tony?

Good question! :-)

Thanks Alex - let’s hope we get a good answer :)

Thoug the tiny wording “restricted” in that sheet is kinda suppressing optimizm.