Lake City / Federal 7.62 NATO steel jackets?

Has anyone ever heard of Lake City / Federal using GMCS jackets on 7.62 NATO of late? I certainly hadn’t, but I recently received a 500rd case of bulk packed 7.62 on LC 18 brass (which definitely skipped the final polish phase) that was billed as “Federal LC 7.62 FMJ” ammo, as if to suggest this was otherwise new contract overrun or some such thing. The bullets however are copper clad steel jackets! I called Federal and talked to an engineer who said they don’t use those jackets, and that he wasn’t aware of any at LC. He added though, that the situation at LC is a little convoluted with the degree of subcontracting or whatever that Orbital ATK has going on ever since they split the ammo to Vista Outdoors. He was stereotypically foggy on those details, sort of like when you get asking factory reps about lot numbers. He went on to say that some of the ammo can be sold off direct (not through Federal) from these loaders, and that he couldn’t speak for all of them as to components. I asked J Bell at MAST and he hadn’t heard anything about this sort of jacket their either.

The seller was TargetsportsUSA and they are supposed to get back to me as far as where this stuff came from. I would assume that some of this same stuff went to other distributors / retailers as well? The lot number on the bulk box was on a white sticker with very basic info and was: SMQ09B324-001. The link to the now out-of-stock item is here: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-lake-city-762x51mm-nato-ammo-149-grain-full-metal-jacket-bulk-500-rounds-xm80cs-p-3346.aspx

[quote=“DKConfiguration, post:1, topic:34336”]
the situation at LC is a little convoluted with the degree of subcontracting or whatever that Orbital ATK has going on ever since they split the ammo to Vista Outdoors. [/quote]

ATK no longer runs Lake City, at least that is how Northrup Grumman portrays the situation-

Right, but is Northrop just running a portion of the facitility, or the whole thing? There are some odd owner / operator relations across the whole facility it seems.

In TargetSports Q&A, they give the following answer to a question about steel jackets: “The Federal Lake City 7.62x51mm ammo does have a bi-metal steel core FMJ bullet that attracts metal, therefore magnetic. However, the casing is brass. Thank you for visiting TargetSportsUSA.com.” Obviously it doesn’t have a steel “core”, but a GM clad steel jacket.

If you mean that message is now showing with that specific sku, then they must’ve put that message there in the last 48 hours, after I raised the concern with them. It was already out of stock at that point though.