Large caliber stuff

I wanted to share photos of some recent items in my collection.
One item is a complete 6"/47 caliber U.S. Navy round.
Projectile: 6" H.C. MK34 Mod1 1937 date (sectioned)
Point Detonating Fuze: MK29 Mod3 (sectioned)
Auxiliary Detonating Fuze: MK54 Mod2
Base Detonating Fuze MK28 Mod15
Case: Mk4 overstamped with MK6 1944 date
Case primer: Mk39 Mod2
Closing plug: MK4 Mod1 1947 date

home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/PICT0487.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/PICT0490.JPG

Very nice specimen of a caliber not too easy to find.

Did you clean this up or has it been in a museum ?

Hi Shelsrus,

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Great USN ammunition even the largest with metal case during WWII I believe.
Is your headstamp also MOD O ? I’m trying to find as many U.S. big cases headstamps as possible starting at 1 inch.
I found myself a 6IN short case 2 weeks ago. Clearing round but I’m not sure about that. Maybe it’s just a blank. I also have a wooden dummy but not pictured it yet. If you like to see that too just ask.

I’ve always said you were one of the best ammo restorers, Bill. Just increadible! Did you also do the sectioning this time or only the painting? Your collection of large caliber artifacts rock!

Jason

[quote=“Western”]Hi Shelsrus,

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Great USN ammunition even the largest with metal case during WWII I believe.[/quote]

The Des Moines Class Heavy Cruisers (CA) were armed with 8"/55 Mark 16 seperate loading guns but none of them were actually completed before the end of WW II hostilities.

Ray

Thanks Ray that would be this case…

[quote=“CSAEOD”]Very nice specimen of a caliber not too easy to find.

Did you clean this up or has it been in a museum ?[/quote]

I repainted and remarked the projectile.
It’s from a Navy base, I’m not sure which one.

[quote=“Western”]Hi Shelsrus,

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Great USN ammunition even the largest with metal case during WWII I believe.
Is your headstamp also MOD O ? I’m trying to find as many U.S. big cases headstamps as possible starting at 1 inch.
I found myself a 6IN short case 2 weeks ago. Clearing round but I’m not sure about that. Maybe it’s just a blank. I also have a wooden dummy but not pictured it yet. If you like to see that too just ask.

My 6"/47 case has no Mod stamp at all, simply MK4 overstamped with MK6.
Are there any big case headstamps in particular you are looking for.
I have a lot from 40mm to 8inch in my collection.
Regards, Bill

[quote=“APFSDS”]I’ve always said you were one of the best ammo restorers, Bill. Just increadible! Did you also do the sectioning this time or only the painting? Your collection of large caliber artifacts rock!

Jason[/quote]

I didn’t do any of the sectioning on this one.
I did repaint & remark the projectile.
Bill

Here are 2 more photos to go with the 8"/55 & 6"/47 cases.
I had five 8"/55 projectiles & three 8"/55 shell casings at one time. I sold them all of but one to keep in my collection.
The 4"/50 caliber round with the common projectile does not belong to me.
It was in my possesion only to restore, repaint & remark.
There are 8"/55 , 4’"/50, 5"/54 & 5"/38 rounds in the one photo.
There is also an 8" Army howitzer projectile on the end.
I’m told the U.S. Navy ships also fired these as well for increased range.
Bill
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/DCP01516.JPG
home.comcast.net/~shelsrus/bignavystuff.JPG

AWESOME Bill!!!

Very Impressive work.

WOW! Seriously nice collection!

I like the big rounds too, I do have an almost complete Navy 5" 38 round with a proximity fuze (Anyone have an extra 5" 38 cartridge end plug they’d like to sell???). It has the original paint and stencilling (50’s-60’s vintage) I just need to trim and re-attach the demilled driving band…

I also have a complete WWII 105mm howitzer training round with the 7 dummy powder increments, which is a neat set…

The rest of my big stuff is German…

I’d love to find a 6" round like that! My dad was on the Oklahoma City, and the Providence, both Cleveland class CL’s converted to CLG’s…but they retained their forward 6" turrets. The Little Rock (same class) is here in Buffalo as a museum ship…supposedly with the last complete 6" cruiser turret in existance…

[/quote]
My 6"/47 case has no Mod stamp at all, simply MK4 overstamped with MK6.
Are there any big case headstamps in particular you are looking for.
I have a lot from 40mm to 8inch in my collection.
Regards, Bill[/quote]
Bill,
I saw all your pictures at your website and can only repeat the others: Awesome, Impressive, Wow! Many,many hours of great work.

At this moment I have a few 100 US headstamps. There are so many I’m looking for and even don’t know of existing.
You could start with the overstamped 6 IN MK 6 ?
If you have ink stamped cases they are special welcome ?
Your brass 3IN 70 Cal is on my list (I have the steel case)

Thanks in advance,
Rien